Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #1 
AzureFish

Unhappy Help...Conflicting Info on Dosing

My main question has to do with dosing of Maracyn 2 while doing 100% water changes. I'm not sure how Marycyn 2 degrades and everyone seems to have a different opinion on the subject.

I have the powder form of Maracyn 2 and it calls for 2 packets for the first day and 1 packet each day for four more days after that assuming you are dosing a 10 gallon aquarium and do no water changes.

I have a 2.5 gallon aquarium and would prefer to do 100% water changes every day while he is sick.

Therefore which option is best.

Option A:
Day 1 - 100% water change, 1/2 pack Maracyn 2
Day 2 - 100% water change, 1/4 pack Maracyn 2
Day 3 - 100% water change, 1/4 pack Maracyn 2
Day 4 - 100% water change, 1/4 pack Maracyn 2
Day5 - 100% water change, 1/4 pack Maracyn 2

Option B:
Day 1 -
100% water change, 1/2 pack Maracyn 2
Day 2 - 100% water change, 3/4 pack Maracyn 2
Day 3 - 100% water change, 1 pack Maracyn 2
Day 4 - 100% water change, 1 1/4 pack Maracyn 2
Day 5 - 100% water change, 1 1/2 pack Maracyn 2

Also, any opinions on Holden's (the betta) conditions would be greatly appreciated a
s well. I believe him to have popeye and possibly a bacterial or fungal infection on some of his scales.

I am not sure if his eye cloudiness is due to the popeye or an overgrowth of scales because the cloudiness seems to be iridescent.

He also has some a
brasions on his head where scales may be missing (they seem to be growing back) I believe he may have injured himself on tank decorations due to his partial blindness (I have since removed some of his decor and his gravel)

I have attached various photos of Holden and his ailments. Note: He is still a very active and friendly fish, so his behavior does not seem to be affected.

Thank you so much for your help.

Housing

What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 77 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes. Carbon Filter
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes, air stone
Is your tank heated? Yes, 10w heater
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None (lived with a ghost shrimp at one time)

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon BettaFood Pellets; freeze dried bloodworms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1-2 pellets 2 X a day. One freeze dried bloodworm a week.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every day for the past two weeks (prior to that water change and vacuumed gravel once a week)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100% a day the past two weeks (50% 1 X week prior to that) When he is well, I plan on doing 50% changes 2 X a week.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqueon Water Conditioner (Sodium thiosulfate, disodium EDTA, Sodium carbonate, Polyvinylpyrollidones) I add more than recommended because it is 5ml/10gal and I have a 2.5gal...so I probably add 2.5ml (anything less than that is difficult to measure.)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Have not tested.

Ammonia:0ppm (no test kit, but 100% a day water changes)
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? cloudy eyes, eyes protrude more than they should; white cottony? spot under a few scales on one side; tiny white spot between two front fins, black speckles on head (can't tell if the speckles are missing scales or just natural coloration)
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not too much, still active...somewhat blind, has a hard time finding food
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Month ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Did a 10 day aq salt treatment with 1tsp/gal and 100% water changes...during that 10 day treatment gave daily 20 minute ES baths 1tsp/gal (Not much change) Started Maracyn 2 treatment...Day One - I put in 1/2 pack after a 100% water change (the instructions on dosing say Day One 2 packs for 10 gal...I have a 2.5 gal so I put in 1/2 pack)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1.5 years.
Attached Images

AzureFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Looks like he is blind mainly from the scales. I hear it is common for them to become blind - and I have one.

For the most part I can tell he has missing scales, and the "white fuzz" you see is more than likely his slime coat trying to fend off infeciton. To be honest you do not need to heavily dose any betta, especially in a small tank, for such things. To avoid bacterial infections, clean every day for a week preferably 100%. Add in some stress coat, and tannins if you have any. At the most, use some aquarium salt... 1-2 teaspoons per gallon, for that week you do water changes. Pre-dissolve of course before adding to avoid burning your fish.

I only ever use Maracyn and Maracyn2 combo for columnaris, severe infections, and usually in 10+ gallons so I have no idea on that matter
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:04 PM   #3 
AzureFish

Thank you for your response, Sena. :)

I have already been doing 100% water changes every day for two weeks. I have also done a "10 day aq salt treatment" with 1tsp/gal aq salt and 100% water changes each day. During the last few days of the "10 day aquarium salt treatment" he received daily 20 minute ES baths 1tsp/gal while I cleaned his aquarium.

The only reason I moved on to medication is that the "salt treatments" did not seem to help with the Popeye, (although it may have helped the missing scales begin to regrow). I read that Popeye (if that is what he has) is caused by a gram negative bacteria and can usually not be cured by salt treatments alone. :( (If the swelling would go down, I wouldn't be so worried that he had popeye. I always suspected he may have a scale overgrowth problem in his eyes...it is nice to know that he is not the only one)

After finishing his antibiotic treatment...I will definitely start adding stress coat and tannins and of course keeping up with his water changes. Thank you for the suggestion. :)
Old 10-22-2012, 11:52 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Hmm, well popeye I found is caused by one of two things: Injury, as in being jabbed in the eye or helter skelter into a sharp point of a plant or ornament... Or yes, bacteria which is often the case in dirty water, small cold bowls that are not taken care of, and all I ever had to do (whether to deter or to heal) was clean water.

But since you have alreayd tried what I have mentioned, then I suppose you could use medications. However I am worried since this is non-stop medicating you could do more harm than good as going from salts to meds with no break is not exactly the best idea and can kill some bettas. How long ago have you stopped the salt treatments?
Old 10-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #5 
AzureFish

Unfortunately, he only had a 3 day break. (I didn't know that there was a waiting period between treatments)

I am on day two of the antibiotic treatment. I am planning on finishing the treatment (with 100% water changes and 1/4 pack a day), so hopefully further problems will not occur. After that, regardless of the results, I will give him a nice long break. I am planning on using stress coat, but may hold off on the tannins. I don't have a test kit and with all of the 100% water changes the tank is almost definitely uncycled by now and it is no longer a planted tank, so the ammonia from the tannins may become a problem. For the future, I am planning a planted, cycled 5-10 gallon tank for him to live in. :) (Hopefully, that would solve most problems b4 they happen)

If anyone with "antibiotics while doing 100% water change experience" is reading: Since I must finish the antibiotic treatment, I still would like input on dosing with the Maracyn 2. I am going the 1/4 a pack a day route for now b/c it uses small doses. Please let me know if this is correct or not.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Well, try doing it through math... 10 gallons for one packet, you divide into 10 - each division is one gallon. I usually go by that if I have a med asking for a larger tank If you see ANY negative side effects, do an immediate water change.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #7 
AzureFish

That is what I have done. He seems as normal as can be so far, very friendly and active.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

Good!! I wish you luck with him.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #9 
LeoTheLakerBetta

Sorry but where did you all get Maracyn? I haven't seen any at my Petco or Petsmart..
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

Petsmart, the local family run store, and you can find it online too here and there. Check petsmart online.

Also find it here http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_trksi...at=0&_from=R40