Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #1 
OrangeAugust

Why did my two males develop fin rot at the same time in two different tanks?

I noticed on the same day that both Shiny and Fishie have fin rot. They're in separate tanks, and Fishie's tank is filtered and cycled. Why did they both get it at the same time and why did Fishie get it in a cycled tank? He was in a hospital tank until a couple of weeks ago because he had been biting his tail. It was beginning to grow back, so I put him back in the 5 gallon and now he has fin rot.
I change the water in the 2.5 twice a week- one 75% and one 50% change with a gravel vac (the water from his tank always smells really gross, though). In the 5 gallon I change 25%-30% of the water once a week. I tested it, and there is no ammonia. I haven't tested nitrites in a while, and I never tested nitrates because my test kit didn't come with it.
Is it because I use the same bucket to refill both tanks so the bacteria got into both tanks??
I feel like a bad fish mommy.
I'm treating with aquarium salt, Stress Coat, and dried oak leaves I gathered from my parents' yard. Is this treatment ok? Shiny's dorsal fin does look better than it did two days ago- the red edges are almost gone and the hole is smaller.
But why did they both get it at the same time?
Thanks!
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:57 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I say fin nipping.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Can you post a pic and/or describe what you are seeing.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Good point but it seems like so much "fin rot" is fin nipping.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #5 
OrangeAugust

I'll try to post a pic later. I know Shiny has fin rot because the edge of his dorsal fin was bright red and has a hole in it. it's almost all healed now. Fishie's fins look kind of like they're melting between the rays on his tail and his anal fin looks weird. I'll post pics later
Old 10-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Still sounds like fin nipping.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #7 
Alcemistnv

The red edge makes it sound like ammonia burns since that' what I would associate with it...

My delta has some sort of weird fin rot from fin biing, so anything is possible.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I have a DT too.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #9 
OrangeAugust

Here are pics... there are a bunch.
In the first two pics, if you look at Shiny's dorsal fin, there is a red mark. In the center of the redness is a hole. The redness is less than it was 2 days ago and the hole is smaller. Two days ago the whole back edge of his dorsal fin was red. If you notice his other fins look kind of weird at the edges. At first I thought they were curling like Fishie's did because of the hard water. Now I'm not sure.
Now Fishie's fins are more difficult to see what I'm talking about because first of all, they're really ruffle-y, secondly he has regrowth from when he was biting his tail- that's why it looks kind of fanned out in places. Thirdly, his anal fin is really curly because of hard water. BUT I noticed a few days ago that there seem to be some splits on the edges now (can't see it in the pics... can really only see it when he moves). It's really hard to tell from the pics, but in one of the pictures you can see a few red spots on the edge of his anal fin. Then another pic, take a look at his scales. That's been bothering me recently- a couple of his scales on his side have changed to a lighter color.
The last picture is just of him being cute and peeking out from his favorite hiding spot- his Amazon sword. hehe

Thanks in advance for your help!
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2012, 07:56 AM   #10 
OrangeAugust

Anyone?