Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #11 
Pogthefish

I think that lookes like biting, but I can't see very well
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:19 AM   #12 
OrangeAugust

I really don't think Shiny's problem is biting- there's literally a hole in the MIDDLE of his dorsal fin.
Fishie might be biting because this morning I see longer pieces hanging from his anal fin. But I've never heard of bettas biting their anal fin before.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #13 
Pogthefish

are there any sharp things in the tank?
Old 10-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #14 
Pogthefish

Take a pair of panty hose and run them over the decorations. If they run, take the decorations out. Idk if they can reach their dorsals or anals with their mouth, but they could
Old 10-23-2012, 09:37 AM   #15 
sunlight

I think with super clean water they will get better. I am not agree with 25-30% water changes. You need to do minimum of 50% with gravel vacuum weekly with filter media rinse. And with your problem i would do even more water changes. My tail bitter heals so fast. I do 2-50% and 1-100% for 2.5 gall tanks and for 5 gall tanks. I don't have filters though. My tail bitter or any of my bettas never had any infections with those water changes.

Also you saying that you treating with aquarium salt. What dosage are you using? Very important right dosage/duration. If you using less dose then therapeutic then it not going to help. Don't follow instructions on the box.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #16 
OrangeAugust

Fishie doesn't have anything sharp in his tank- I have all live plants. But Shiny has plastic plants that don't have sharp edges and haven't bothered him previously, but I will do the pantyhose test anyway later when I get home. Thanks.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:43 AM   #17 
OrangeAugust

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlight View Post
Also you saying that you treating with aquarium salt. What dosage are you using? Very important right dosage/duration. If you using less dose then therapeutic then it not going to help. Don't follow instructions on the box.
I'm using one teaspoon per gallon.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #18 
sunlight

If you using aq salt make sure you pre mix it first . Do not put it directly in the tank.
I am not an expert but i am really thinking that extra water changes will help and you don't have to use salt. And especially that Fishie is tail bitter,and you saying that his tail healing. If he is tail bitter you can't treat him with salt every time when he bites it. But you need very clean water to prevent infection.

I don't know but all your bettas actually looks good. And i have exactly the same betta as Shiny. Second picture is exactly like my Pearl look a like. He is 3 years old and i think also have a tiny bit of red spots and black spots that you can't even see unless you look close. I am not home right now i can't check him. But do extra water changes.
Not sure about hard water though. But curly fins definitely because of that. I don't have hard water so i am not sure if it an issue. But if yo have them for long time i guess you know what to do.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #19 
Friendlyfishies

its frustrating isnt it!? my orange dalmation reminds me of your white guy...same issues with the tail as far as appearance...I havent yet caught him tail biting, ive watched for it an have yet to see it yet the tail just keeps disapearing...70% water changes daily, water perams are fine, 78 degrees, live plant, IAL, no substrate..yet every morning there appears to be more fin missing :/ I dont get it either. No filter or decor anymore...it seemed to all start with the filter, he liked to rest in the intake...im just hoping the recent salt treatment worked, now im waiting for results *tick tock tick tock*
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote