Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #21 
sunlight

How many pellets you guy feeding him with?
If he got bloated right after you fed him then of course he can be bloated because of it. I am wondering how many pellets you gave him. I know this kind of the pellets they kind of bigger than other brands.
I don't think that epsom salt will make him pale. Did his behavior changed? How he doing now?
Also what can stress him out that if you didn't acclimate him. When you change him make sure new water temperature the same and take time acclimate to the temperature/chemistry. Just keep adding new water in his changing cup for about 3 times and let him sit in it for about 5 min each time when you do it. Did he get pale right after water change?
Did you use unscented epsom salt?
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:39 PM   #22 
Alexandria

We gave him 3 pellets and he is still just floating but less on the side. He is still in that s shape and his colour paled within a few hours from being switched into epsom salt instead of AQ salt. The epsom salt is unsented life brand. It was the only unsented epsom salt they had. When setting up the epsom tank my fiance made sure the temperature and PH was the same. My fiance is all sad and worried because we just lost Squishy to ammonia poisoning and now have new fish and it is his that is sick. Mine is perfectly time and happy and we didn't do anything different between the two once we brought them home.
Alexandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #23 
sunlight

how is he doing? And you did put water conditioner right? I never heard that anyone had any problem with epsom salt. Is he eating?
Old 10-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #24 
Alexandria

He is swimming around more today and yes we put conditioner in his meditank ^^ I was wondering if the light may be what made his colour pale. We fed him yesterday and he ate but we are unsure if we are supposed to fast him or feed him -.- there seem to be mixed opinions on that
Old 10-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #25 
sunlight

If you can find frozen daphnia in the store it would be good for him to feed, masquito larva is good for him but i have no idea how to grow it. May be someone else can give you advice. I think you need to grow it.Try to make a post about it or may be someone can come along on this thread. Also try cooked shrimp. Just shrimp that we eat tiny piece of it ( size of the pellet.)
He also need less water movement so don't use filter for him.

How much you fed him? Not sure how he looks i can't tell by picture, it kind of blurry. But try to fast him today and see how he doing.

Some fish can have chronic buoyancy issue it can be related to either the swim bladder or the labyrinth organ and it hard to recognize which one it is.
You don't want to withhold nutrition. If he is having buoyancy issues regardless of feeding....i would feed him. But again if you can find daphnia,larva,shrimp or if not you can feed regular betta pellets, just don't overfeed.
Good nutrition is really important to help support the immune response
And actually every time when fish has chronic buoyancy problem you can keep him on epsom salt indifenetelly. On lower dose of 1tsp/gall.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #26 
Alexandria

Our water is terrible so we are going to see how Kai is on the filter side and if he is fine then Spike will get the other side of the tank. We have seen a noticable difference in him on day 2 of the epsom bath.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #27 
sunlight

continue with epsom salt, dont stop it yet Are you cycle your tank? Do you need advice on the water changes? So you know how to take care of the filter ? Do you vacuum the gravel regularly? Sorry for all questions i just thought that you are new to bettas and i want to make sure you know all of that.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:55 PM   #28 
Alexandria

Well I am new but we did only bring Kai and Spike home on Monday along with the talk and filter. I do have one of Those suction hose things for cleaning the tank. I do intend to keep Spike in the epsom salt bath for a wee while. For water changes I figured 1 50% and 1 100% a week will be Okay for a 10 galon filtered tank. Is that right? I am new to the filter so advice on thay would be greatly appreciated :) the questions don't bother me at all, no apology necessary ^.^

Spike Update:

We payed close attention to him today and when I was comparing him to Kai i noticed his gill area and Uhhm. the fins beside the gills... That area looks off. I just took a bunch of pictures of him so I will post a pic in a couple minutes. I hope I got one clear enough to show it. Just incase I will try to explain what I see.

If you look at Spike from like an aerial view his gills almost look like one is larger than the other and I can't tell if the red is from is colouring or if maybe he got ammonia poisoning from his cup at the petshop. We both also noticed it almost seems like he either does not know how or can't move those fins properly. And maybe that is why he cannot swim well and just floats around. Although since he started the salt bath treatment he swims much.more often.

Last edited by Alexandria; 10-24-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:14 PM   #29 
Alexandria

Here are the pics I took
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #30 
sunlight

Alexandra do not put him in your main tank with other fish yet. Just let watch him and make sure everything is fine with him.The gills may or may not ever be able to close properly for a few reasons. It can be because of scare tissue or gill flukes it called gill hyperplasia. This is sometimes permanent but usually doesn't effect the quality of life too much.
So let wait and see to make sure it doesn't related to flukes (external parasites). Otherwise he don't look too bloated.
So i really will wait for a week or more.
You saying that he swims much more, is it looks like he is darting around like crazy or trying to scratch himself on the objects?

Last edited by sunlight; 10-25-2012 at 11:23 AM.