Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #1 
MidTnBetta

Veiltail turned himself into a crown tail

Hey guys. I've got a couple questions. Yesterday I put my VT in a 5 gallon tank from his 1 gallon. Everything was fine last night when I went to bed. Woke up today and he now looks like a double tailed crown tail. His tail has a big slit down the middle and he's chewed the tip of his tail to shreds. Any ideas how to help it heal? Should I put him back in his one gallon? Sucks but not sure what to do for him. He never did this in the smaller tank. It's like he's turned into a spazz with all the new room. The only new decoration in this tank is a hidey hole. I felt it when I put it in and it wasn't rough at all so not sure if this is the culprit or not. I posted on the FB group, and was told to try AQ salt and put more plants in the tank. I've never used AQ salt and don't want to mess anything up or kill him. The lights in the tanks I bought were shot, so I'm going to pick up light bulbs for both tanks. When I do I'll try to post pictures of him. This is the only picture I have of him right now on the computer. It was taken when he was still in his 1 gallon.
MidTnBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Are there tons of decorations?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:37 PM   #3 
MidTnBetta

No both tanks are pretty sparse right now. His has maybe 4 fake plants and the hidey hole. The hide hole is decent sized so it takes up a corner of the tank. Plenty of room to swim around, through, over, etc. I felt it and felt nothing rough on it. So I don't think it's that. He's also been swimming slightly spastically. Nothing alarming, just differently than he normally does. He was from Wal-mart and no telling how long he was in the cup. I brought him and a CT home and they both went into 1 gallon tanks. They're going to be upgraded. He's now in the 5 and the CT will call the 10 gallon home.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

That is the problem just put toms of decorations in.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:01 PM   #5 
LadyVictorian

Are your plants silk or plastic?
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Good point forgot about plastic plant damage.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #7 
LadyVictorian

Plastic plants are like taking a knife to warm butter. They cut up tails with no mercy and can do some scary damage to them. If they are plastic I would say get silk or better still live plants.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I use live plants too.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:51 PM   #9 
MidTnBetta

I've planned on getting live plants, but need to read up on them, care, variety, etc. I've not done live plants before so I'm going to make sure I know what I'm doing before I get them. All the plants passed the panty hose test, but they are plastic. I've been uber careful with him, and like I said, the only new decoration is the hide hole. He had the same plants in his 1 gallon with no torn anything. I added 1 1/2 teaspoons of AQ salt to his tank tonight. He's in a 5 gallon so I hope I added enough. I also was able to pick up 2 bulbs so I was able to get some pictures.

Pre tail chew-

Current-
Tank-

Tail shots-

Last edited by MidTnBetta; 10-22-2012 at 11:56 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:33 AM   #10 
DoctorWhoLuver

From what I can see, a few of your plants are plastic. I might have gotten is tail stuck on one of them and ripped it.
As for treatment, Aquarium salt will not harm your betta; unless it is used in excessive amounts, then it may cause liver damage.
For a rip that size, I would use 1/2 to 1/4 of a tsp per gallon.
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote