Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2012, 01:03 AM   #11 
MidTnBetta

Okay I only used 1 1/2 teaspoons total for the 5 gallons. I also didn't know to mix in a separate container and add that to the water. I just sprinkled it in. Someone said it could cause burns?
MidTnBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:09 AM   #12 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

His fins were broken by plants.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:37 AM   #13 
Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
His fins were broken by plants.
I'm not so sure about that. Usually sharp objects will cause long rips vs. the splayed, jagged edges that we see here. When I see chunks missing I usually suspect tail biting, which I'd say is likely the case here especially taking into account the change of environment. It may not be anything to do with the tank (size, decorations, etc.) itself, rather, it could just be the change. Hopefully he will settle in soon. I do however, agree that adding a good number of silk plants in place of the plastic ones will provide a safer and less stressful environment. It's great that you upgraded them though!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:06 AM   #14 
Freyja
Banned

Tossing it in is fine as it has a larger water volume in which to dissolve and the heat generated from the chemical reaction would be minimal. I used to do it as I was pouring in the new water during a water change, when Rudy was recovering from being a former Petsmart VT girl. She was pretty much finless so I had her in a 1 gallon, doing daily water changes and AQ salt dosing. She's been upgraded to a 2.5 gallon.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:39 AM   #15 
OrangeAugust

Is your 5 gallon filtered? Does it have much of a current? One of my bettas started biting his tail when my filter cartridge got all gunked up and the water started coming out of the overflow creating a lot more current.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:39 PM   #16 
lelei

If you have a filter, he may not be used to it, or the current is too strong, I have the same problem with my VT as he is doing the same thing, and for the same reason, he is currently in a 5 gal, and his tail is shredded, and he has silk, and real plants, so the only thing, is the filter, so if you have a filter, baffle the flow..or opt for an airstone.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:59 PM   #17 
sunlight

I would not do aquarium salt since he just damage his fins and it should heal with extra water changes. And you don't have to use filter if you don't cycle your tank. I have 5 gall and i do 1-50 and 1-100% every 8 days. His tail will/ should heal without treatment. I have tail bitter and his tail heals fast with extra water changes. And it really better do not use salt at all if you don't use therapeutic dose, it will do more harm than help. His immune system will get resistant and it will not help when needed. So do not add a little bit of salt. The dosage on aquarium salt is 1tsp/gall up to 3tsp/gall depending on severity.
But i am really thinking you just need extra water changes. A lot of people have tail bitters and you don't need to treat it everytime , or if he damage his tail you just need to keep water clean to prevent infections. Well at least i never treated my tail bitter just super clean water.
Silk plants good idea

sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #18 
Sena Hansler

Never EVER just dump in aquarium salt! Always dissolve beforehand. Would rather that you be safe than sorry.

I also agree with Sunlight, you do not even need to use aquarium salt. There is no need to medicate, when there is nothing wrong. A split fin, or tail biting won't kill him. Making sure the water is clean and warm for healing.

BEST MEDICINE: clean warm water. Good husbandry aids you in keeping your fish healthy. If you have a permanent tail biter, you will have to get used to it Charlie does it, and depsite changes to environment and everything he still does it. Not as much mind you, but still.

Tail biting can be caused from many things - one of which is stress. Other possibilities can be: light, how much is in the tank, tank mates, being in a quiet room, being in a traffic heavy room, boredom, sickness, lonliness, etc etc etc. There will never be a "cure" for tail biting, but you can prevent or somewhat discourage. You just have to know what makes him tick I have a VT who
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #19 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I also agree with Sunlight and Senna. AQ salt treatment (1tsp/gal is a therapeutic dose) should be for injuries and severe finrot.

The keepers whose advice I follow don't recommend using salt....any kind, any time.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...quarium-97842/
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #20 
lelei

If you have Stress Coat, it help heal fast, I use for my tailbiting betta, and for my VT, but salt isn't necessary, keep water clean, and warm and will grow back..and stress coat:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote