betta fish

Old 10-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #21 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Sorry got tears mixed up.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #22 
MidTnBetta

The tank is filtered and has a baffle. There's not a strong current in it. I put stress coat and prime in the tank when I cycled it and put him in there. He seems more relaxed today. I've also not noticed any more bites/tears. I don't know why the plants would tear him after 1 day in the new tank, when he was in his 1 gallon for a month and a half, with the same plants, and no tears or biting. I think it was stress. He was much more active and interested in me about an hour after putting the AQ salt in the tank. He typically flares and swims to the front of the tank when he sees me. This is a daily activity for him. The water is staying at 78 degrees right now, but I don't have a heater yet for this tank. I check the temp several times a day to make sure it's not too cold and it's only varied between 76-78 since I started the tank.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...42461674_n.jpg
MidTnBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #23 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Looks lethargic too.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:40 PM   #24 
Sena Hansler

76-78 is not too bad for temperature. Getting a heater would just keep it from fluctuating downwards too much :)

He does not look too bad. If there was a change in anything he could have been stressed. I have had a betta I could not move, without him becoming stressed and biting because of it. So he stayed, with no changed decor, same tank, same room. Just find what triggered it, and play around with what happens to see what you could do to prevent (if you can)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #25 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

80F is best and decorations look sharp.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #26 
LeoTheLakerBetta

Also you don't need to put Prime and Stress Coat at the same time. Stress Coat is a conditioner as well so you can just use that for now.
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #27 
Sena Hansler

ChoclateBetta, 76 is preferably the lowest, and perhaps not the greatest but it will do for now. And 78 is just fine, which is what my bettas sit at (except in summer where it gets hotter).

And +1 about stress coat. It works nicely! About decor, I use plastic plants but they are softer without being super dense in the center thus keeping bettas away from getting snagged in the middle
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #28 
MidTnBetta

He's most definitely not lethargic. He swims a ton and rarely rests except at night. Those pictures were taken when I was going to bed last night and he was resting on the orange plant. It took me maybe 30 minutes to get those 4 photos due to him moving. He's also getting Hikari Bio-gold. I'm going to read more into real plants. I was going to get some bulbs last night, but like I said, I don't know enough yet to be comfortable with real plants. Every decoration in his tank passed the panty hose test. Like I said, he was fine for a month with the same decor. The day after moving him to the 5 gallon, he nipped his tail to shreds. He's used to being moved due to frequent water changes with the 1 gallon. On the up side, my CT loves his new 10 gallon. He rides the filter current and plays with the bubbles. When he rides the current (mild but it moves him) it reminds me of Finding Nemo where the sea turtles ride the currents. He loves it.
MidTnBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #29 
cjayBetta

OP - I have that SAME filter and I figured out that iit is the filter intake that does it... The fishes tail will get stuck in it, just a little and tear his fins to shreds. It happened to my VT. You need to put a sponge over the filer intake.

Your little guy will be fine, just keep his water clean so no infections start :D
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #30 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Not to be mean but temp is 76F and the fish is unhealthy.