Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #1 
njnolan1

White film on my heater?

Hey everyone!

Well my new tank is doing good so far. Everyone seems happy and healthy. I just have a question about the white film that appears to be growing on my rubber heater. The tank is a 2.5 gallon btw.

The film flakes off when I do partial water changes and floats all around the water and looks nasty. I would clean it off but I've read it will be back in two days. If I even move the heater the stuff falls off it and clouds the water. I'm not sure if it is growing on anything else but it doesn't appear to be. I thought I saw something but I think it's just the flaky stuff getting caught on the plants. Any idea what it is?

My tank isn't cycled yet. I've had it running for a week and I have a prefilter that I'm just going to rinse in old tank water. I do want to change the actual filter because it has carbon within it. Does anyone think I should cut out the carbon and reuse the filter, just rinse it off in old tank water to keep the beneficial bacteria?

Oh, and I've added a moss ball to help keep the tank clean, give the shrimp something else to climb on and find food on and for decor.

Last edited by njnolan1; 10-22-2012 at 06:58 PM.
njnolan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #2 
logisticsguy

It may be calcium build up from having hard water. I have the same thing on all my heaters. Nothing to worry about but you can clean it off with vinegar solution if you want to but it will likely come back.

I would just swish and squeeze the pre filter in old tank water and put it back on. Pre filters are great.

Last edited by logisticsguy; 10-22-2012 at 07:40 PM.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #3 
MyRainbowBettaFish

sounds like heater snot, harmless, but an eyesore
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #4 
nel3

you can wipe it off, it might come back but mine hasnt come back for many months.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:00 AM   #5 
njnolan1

Thanks everyone! Maybe I've read it might eventually go away too so we'll see. It's just kind of nasty but the filter is hidden so it's only an eye sore if I go looking for it. Thanks everyone!

I don't even want to touch it because it falls apart at the slightest movement.

I'll definitely just rinse out the prefilter. Thanks!
njnolan1 is offline   Reply With Quote