Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #1 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Comments on form and color

So can everyone go to my albums and look at both my female and male and comment on their form? I believe my fmale has eggs or do you think it is bloat? Just wondering. Anyways check out my fish and comment on this thread what you think. Thanks so much!!!!!
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Hiya :p

So, for the female I find the color very common in our area. She is a plakat I believe... That being said her caudal is not as widely spread as it could be, (coming from pictures without her exending like she would if she flared) and for the most part her anal fin is decently even. Her body however seems odd to me, as the swoop along her back ends just behind her dorsal, making her "tail end" look thinner.

Male: Sorry to say, he is not a delta. He is a full fledged veiltail. His color is not typically desireable if bred, however his body is nicely streamlined. His fins are very typical in most veiltails I see... Messy and usually not even.

However, I have bred veiltails before and I find if you offset their messy fins with a female who has shorter, more even finnage you can get decent fry. I believe you are planning to breed these two, yes? :) If so, you will more than likely end up with blue, blue with red wash, and irridescent (as is the female, but possibly more like my baby fry who is brown bodied with irridescent fins).
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #3 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Hi :) Thanks for the reply! The female has a very nice anal fin in my opion by looking at her it is very even. Her body does get slightly thinner at the end but it is really hard to tell right now with her full of eggs or bloated I think it is more the angle of the pic. her caudal fin is her back tail fin right? I know it is not 180 degrees but is one of the better or petstore fish lol. As for the male he is getting old and I thought he was a delta but if he is a v tail I shall not be breeding him he is a beautiful boy and really I love him and do not want to take the risk of harming him. I will go pick up a nice halfmoon soon. there has been a yellow one staring me down at the lfs but him and a green no idea what might turn up lol. I seriosly thought he was a delta because he doesn't have fins that come together in a point and his fins are uneven because he has been eating them lately it sucks. Maybe I will look for a green hm lol
Old 10-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Especially if he is older - which I could kind of tell as his fins are more "wrinkled" as was my old man fish's, Georgie.

Why not check for an HM? :p I saw... a purple and white butterfly HM still sitting in Big Al's. There was also a yellow HM, a blue HM, tri-colored CT, and a CT that looks like your boy LOL :)

I am currently spawning two - Janey and Ares. I suspect wide finned VT from this pair, but it is also because finding an HM female is hard -.- as is a doubletail :/

(Ona side note...If you find me a doubletail lady, I WILL LOVE YOU FOREVER!!! )

For a VT... If you bred VT that is... Look for a male who has an even caudal (yes, tail fin :) ), a medium length anal and a wider dorsal. One who holds his fins gracefully too :) Stuck together is not all that great especially if it really isn't clamped (trust me, I know).

Are you wanting to breed color or finnage?
Old 10-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #5 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Both lol want them with good form and nice color. Form for other breeders and nice color makes finding homes easier when dealing with people who don't know about finnage. I will keep an eye out for a double tail lady for you. I will find a nice hm male for Calypso any colors you suggest? I will beg to go to big Al's for nice breeding stock too. Can't wait to see the outcome of your spawn!!!! Might buy one of you as a Christmas presant to myself lol. I will use Calypso spawn to a hm male and then hopefully get a hm female if I'm lucky.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Well, you will probably get shorter finned HM if anything - but because of her being more of a pet store fish don't be surprised for the "what the heck?!" fry hahaha. You could possibly end up getting a female with a nice spread (caudal) and breed back to another Hm or the father HM, which is line breeding.

For her, I am not sure for color choice. Perhaps go for a pattern as well? Butterfly apparently is dominant... Yellow is recessive as is orange as they are mutations of red. red + blue ends up being royal blues, red wash and some reds... If you want her color as is, aim for a cellophone or even grizzle male. Or if you want a wide range of colors, play around with a multi colored one ^^ There is a sticky on here somewhere that explains it better than I ever could for colors :p

Haha well hopefully Ares is NOT a baby eater. I have had a terrible streak, hence why I have one fry (who was also a sibling killer) who is 5 months old. She is a fiesty thing!
Old 10-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #7 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Do they sell plakat males at Big Al's? lol what the heck fry sound interesting lol. Maybe I can find a super long finned male and end up with longer finned fry :o I will probably line breed a nice female back to the father. LOL speaking of fiesty fish Magic is the most docile thing ever!! won't flare at other fish his reflection strange objects lol exact oposit of your girl. I will try to to find a nice male I have one more tank that is a 5 gal then all my fish have their own tank I just need a filter, heater, a couple more jars, cultures and IAL. almost there!! Can't wait. Good luck with your spawns and do you have any cultures?
Old 10-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

Microworm culture - I actually have another coming in if you would like some once it is set up :) I also have decapsulated BBS, and BBS eggs. I'm going to see what my babies like!!

I have yet to see a PK at Big Al's that was not female... But apparently if you request from them certain tail types they can get it in. Which may work for me since I do not live in the city :p
Old 10-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #9 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

I will definately check out Big Al's and see what they can do. Would you really send me a micro worm culture I would be forever grateful!!!!!! I will feed micro worms and boiled egg yolk I am debating bbs but need to order online of course. Where do you get your IAL from because I will need some of that too lol.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:20 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

I order from Thailand to be honest LOL. Oh and Big Al's has BSS eggs :p I know Aquarium Central does have IAL... But I won't ever go back there thanks to their obvious unprofessional appearance acts and language