Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2012, 09:28 PM   #1 
emeraldmaster

Red's Girlfriend

I wish to breed Red (see picture). But i want a female that will look good with Red as a couple. Any sugestions?
Attached Images

emeraldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:30 PM   #2 
emeraldmaster

a side note, he is the calm but deadly type. he leaves everyone well alone until they attack him, when they do, he kills the in seconds. so no meanies.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #3 
LadyVictorian

You can't have a female live with him. If you breed you need to set up a whole second tank to breed in and then a third tank for the female to live in. Please read about breeding. If you have a female live with the male he will kill her.

You also need to line up about 200 people to home your baby betta's or kill enough betta's until you have a manageable number. You also need to read up on culling which is very important. You can't allow defective fish to reach adulthood. You also need to buy live good like baby brine shrimp, vinegar eels, and Grendel worms for your baby fish. You also need about 100 to 200 jars as babies will start fighting and killing each other once they get old enough so each needs it's own jar and daily water changes.

Last edited by LadyVictorian; 10-22-2012 at 10:00 PM.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:28 AM   #4 
Savageajc

the reflection makes red look crazy haha, ladyraincloud what a downer! ha jk =p
Savageajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:45 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

Females can be just as deadly as males.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:38 AM   #6 
emeraldmaster

I have a tank in the other room to place the female. i have attempted to breed bettas before, but had to use me cousin's fish and the male was an egg eater so... i wish to try it with my Red. I know a local fish store that will take most of the babies and am still trying to convince another store( D*** Walmart) to take them but cannot get ahold of the manager. My cousin has the materials needed except food. He only fights when messed with. He wouldn't even bother with my cousin's active female, she wanted to breed. and Savageajc, he was flareing at his reflection when i took that photo. He was actually being playful at the time. I almost got a cambodian female that had bloodred fins for him, rescue from walmart. but i didn't have the other tank betta friendly yet. she had only 3 mm of water in her cup and was barely bigger than a female guppy. Walmart got a good but-chewing from me that day. but i just want a fish that will look good with Red, not in the same tank but you get the idea...
Old 10-23-2012, 08:53 AM   #7 
bettalover2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageajc View Post
ladyraincloud what a downer! ha jk =p
Excuse Me, I'm not trying to interfere, but that sounds kind of disrespectful.
bettalover2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:24 AM   #8 
emeraldmaster

i thought it was rather rude as well, but i saw the humor in it before the rude, so i thought it was funny. i thought it was worded that way for the effect? maybe, maybe not...
Old 10-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #9 
Tikibirds

I'm not expert but I think you want to go with a CT female - otherwise you will end up with funky fins.
I don't understand the color genetics but that might be a good place to start - what color are you trying to achieve?
I tried breeding a while back - the female was WAY to violent and ripped all his fins off yet I had a misidentified young VT in a 20G with 5 males and there was no more fighting then is normal in a soreity.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

I agree that statement seemed rude... Even if sarcasm or a joke was the point, remember words on a screen do not have an ounce of tone, which in person tone really makes the statement rude/funny :)

Anyways, A crowntail for sure. Because crowntail is the one where you cross it to anything else you get really odd looking shaggy fins that may not be desireable. Color choice, I do not know what you want.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote