Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #1 
Blacklight

Medicating a Betta for ick

I'm re-posting this as I have another topic on the board that I think people have lost interest in and figured things were answered in. I have one simple question. My fish has Ick. I have a bottle of API Super Ick treatment. I know that this is a dumb question, but I've never done this before. You keep the fish in the tank when you put the treatment in, right? Please forgive my incredible stupidity.
Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #2 
MyRainbowBettaFish

that is correct, and no, you are not stupid! Ick should look like your fish is sprinkled in salt or sugar, and rubs on objects. how big is your tank, so we can figure the dose?
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #3 
Blacklight

I have a five gallon tank with a couple of decorations, internal tetra whisper filter (that looks like a cup), a tetra underwater heater, and filled to within about an inch and a half to the top.
The bottle says to add 5 ml per 5 gallons.
Should I use the full 5 ml or should I cut it down a little?

I'm sorry if I need hand holding. But I really want to do things right.
I'll put it in right away once I make sure that things are proper. Thank you very much for helping.

Last edited by Blacklight; 10-22-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:12 PM   #4 
ANHEL123

Didn't read your previous post but are you sure your betta has ick?
Remove the filter and wash it in the hot boiling water, don't keep cartridge though. But filter it self wash with boiling water and put it outside or inside for a few days or more to air dry it. This will kill parasites,they die without host. I understood you don't have live plants, right?

Use medications, but also i recommend to buy aquarium salt to have it on hands in case medications will not help and you need to prolong the treatment.
Aquarium salt dehydrate parasites and also will prevent secondary infections. Higher temperature will speed up parasites life cycle and help them to fall faster.
What temperature do you have?
Also i would say don't put medications directly to the tank dissolve it first with water.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:15 PM   #5 
Blacklight

Yes. The betta has ick. The tail and fins look like they have dandruff.

*Confused* I want to keep this as least complicated as possible. So I should do a water change and put enough medication in the new water for a 5 gallon tank?
I really don't know what I'm doing here and I don't trust myself.

I always thought that you just added the meds to the tank directly.

Last edited by Blacklight; 10-22-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #6 
ANHEL123

Yes.
About medications i don't think it will make big difference ,i still like to dissolve it in the cup with water and then to the tank. I think it better and you don't wantto put it directly on the betta.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #7 
sainthogan

Also, if you take the filter cartridge out, don't put another one in yet. The biofilter itself can interfere with the medications and make them less effective. (The directions that came with your whisper filter say that, but a lot of people forget)
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #8 
ANHEL123

I don't have filter in any of my tanks, but everything that you wash with hot water and air dry at least you know will kill any ich.

I would even recommend to take everything out if you can and lower the water so it will be easier for you to change it. And do daily water changes with re dosing medications every time. And i would also have aquarium salt on hands. And don't afraid to use aquarium salt it proofed and save.
I was trying to read previous post but it too late and my husband getting aggravated that i am on the computer. So i was unable to read. But i saw that he also has bouncy problem? Is he still has it? If he is i would use also epsom salt. Or at least have it on hands. If you have betta fish aquarium and epsom salt is like emergency kit , always can be helpful. Never afraid to use any of the salt, like i said proof and safe.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:29 PM   #9 
Blacklight

Okay. I did about a 50% water change. Removed the filter cartridge. Put enough medication in the water for a 5 gallon tank and replaced the water. I left the filter running without a cartridge with the hope that the medication will cycle through it and kill any parasites that happen to be in it.
He seems to be having boyancy problems, yes. He keeps floating up and tries to wedge himself under stuff to stay down.
We're going to fast him for a few days to see if he gets better (I've read that constipation can cause this). If things don't improve, he's going to get tossed into a breeder tank with some epsom salts too.

Also, the medication says to repeat the dose in 48 hours. Then, 48 hours later, do a water change. Does that mean that for the next dose I just toss it in there or do I do another water change, mix the dose with water, and put the water in?

Last edited by Blacklight; 10-22-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:45 PM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

ok.. Sorry I'm a bit late. your easiest method for curing ich... is to up the temperature slowwwwwly to 86F you can probably even go to about 88...
ich dies naturally t this temperature apprently.

also use aquarium salt at 2tsp/ gallon... this should get rid of it... also do a thorough gravel vacuum and 50% water change everyday. :)
whether you use this method or use the meds...
goodluck.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote