Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2012, 12:48 AM   #11 
Blacklight

The little breeder tank I have takes about 16 ounces of water. I realize that's small but it's all I have. If I have to use the epsom salts, about how much would I put in that tank with him? Or should I put the salts right in my 5 gallon tank where he lives?

We aren't going to be able to increase the temperature as we have one of those non-adjustable heaters and my wife will not let me spend money on a new one. She says that she's spent way too much money on "These damn two inch long fish". At this point, she's getting stressed and ticked off and is almost to the point of flushing the fish. Her version of pet care and my version of pet care are two totally different things. She was raised with the viewpoint that "These are animals, not people. If they get injured or sick, you put them down rather than spend hard earned money to nurse them back to health". I was raised the opposite way so we're fighting a LOT about the fish right now as I want to care for them but I need to be allowed to buy stuff to do that and she's not happy with me spending ANY money at the moment because we already overspent on tanks, filters, heaters, etc.. for two tanks. She was expecting to get a $3.00 fish. Put it in a $5 bowl, and be done with it.
I was lucky that she allowed me to buy that little breeder tank. My idea is to use it as a water acclimation tank so that we don't have to float a pet store's bag or plastic cup in the tank. Heck. I was lucky that she allowed me to buy the bottle of Ick treatment.

Last edited by Blacklight; 10-23-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:53 AM   #12 
ao
TFK Moderator

epsom wont do anything for ich... can you turn up the temps any mee? It has to be 86F or higher to work...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:02 AM   #13 
ao
TFK Moderator

OK second easiest way to do this. can you get a 1 gallon container? ANY kind will do as long as it is clean.

can you put the heater in there and test the temps? you got that? OK good.
Now every half a day, Without fail....do a watee change. and clean his 1 gallon verrrry thoroughly with hot water. Then te adjust the water for him (temperature matchig is very important here) dechlorinate. add 3tsp/ gallon salt. dissolve it. then pour as much of his water out as possible. then put him back in....

I've done this before with no meds for two of my bettas pre heater ownership and they've both survived just fine.

Ich is the easiest disease to cure... dont stress

and all this only if the heater works well in the 1 gallon...
Old 10-23-2012, 01:06 AM   #14 
Blacklight

The instructions for the medication says to leave it in for 48 hours. Then put another dose in. Then wait another 48 hours, then do a water change. Does this mean that I just toss the second dose in there or do I do a water change, mix the new dose with water and then put it in, and then after that 48 hours, do a water change?
Things are starting to conflict here. Now I have a small roughly 16 ounce breeder tank that I can clip to the side of the tank and put it waterside so that it will stay the same temp as the water in the tank. I realize that this is small, but it was the biggest "hospital tank" that my wife was willing to let me spend money on. Would it be easier to put him in there to do the epsom salt treatment or since he's being treated for the Ick, should I put the epsom or aquarium salts into the whole 5 gallon tank itself? Is it safe to leave that salt in there? Will it hurt the filter? I don't have any live plants. Since he's being treated for the Ick and the instructions say to leave the medication in for 48 hours and considering with the salts, you should do a daily water change, should I wait for the Ich treatment period to be over before doing the salt treatments?
My betta having two different problems with two different treatments that seem to contradict what you need to do for each of them is really confusing me.

I'm reading that for fish with swim bladder disorder that you shouldn't feed him for a few days to see if he's constipated and if he poops, it usually eliminates the problem.
Then, I'm reading that a fish with Ich should be fed to keep his immune system up so he can fight the parasites off.

The ick treatment is going to take at least 4 days with one water change at the end according to the back of the bottle.
How am I going to put the salt in there properly without messing up what I'm doing with the ick medication?
If this was just one thing, it would be fine. I could do one or the other. Am I going to have to wait till I finish the ick treatment to begin the salt and if I add the salt, how am I supposed to add it to the tank with no water change (if I do, it will mess with the instructions the medication gave me)

Last edited by Blacklight; 10-23-2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:08 AM   #15 
ao
TFK Moderator

it's not good to use both salt and meds. you can definite go the meds way. try it and see how it goes! dont over dose, I still recommend the half day water changes. reasona being, you can get rid of the parasite when they are free swimming. but you cannot do it when they are attached to the fish

but if you are not confident, follow the bottle directions

next time your fish gets ich... you will be fine with just aquarium salt. ich medication is toxic and have the chabce of hurting your betta more than Aq salt
Old 10-23-2012, 01:17 AM   #16 
Blacklight

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
OK second easiest way to do this. can you get a 1 gallon container? ANY kind will do as long as it is clean.

can you put the heater in there and test the temps? you got that? OK good.
Now every half a day, Without fail....do a watee change. and clean his 1 gallon verrrry thoroughly with hot water. Then te adjust the water for him (temperature matchig is very important here) dechlorinate. add 3tsp/ gallon salt. dissolve it. then pour as much of his water out as possible. then put him back in....

I've done this before with no meds for two of my bettas pre heater ownership and they've both survived just fine.

Ich is the easiest disease to cure... dont stress

and all this only if the heater works well in the 1 gallon...
I don't have a one gallon. I have a single 5 gallon tank that he lives in and a little 16 ounce breeder tank (that I use as a temperature acclimator). That's all I have. I don't have another tank to put him in.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:22 AM   #17 
Blacklight

Just a question: I'm using the "API Super Ick Cure" bottle
When it says to wait 48 hours and then dose again, then wait another 48 hours, then do a water change, does that mean that I just toss the second dose right in the tank with no water change? Or should I do another 50% water change, add the medication to the water, and refill the tank for that second dose? I'm confused.

Instructions are here under the "Additional Information" tab.
http://www.bigalspets.com/super-ick-...FUWo4AodXzwAMA
Old 10-23-2012, 01:23 AM   #18 
ao
TFK Moderator

lol! no lunch boxes? I guess you have no choice but to medicate then.
and yeah.. no water changes if it didnt specify.
its a way to acclimatise the fish to the maximum effective dosage I guess.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:28 AM   #19 
Blacklight

So basically, take care of the ick, first and once that's done, then treat him for the other issue?

Now I've seen a contradiction for treatment:
1. When a fish has ick, you're supposed to feed him to keep his immune system up
2. When a fish has swim bladder disorder, you shouldn't feed him for about 3 days or so and then give him a pea if he's still having problems.

Which do I do? He has both problems.

I feel bad for the poor thing, having to jam himself under stuff to stay down. I'm scared because I'm afraid that both problems might kill him and I get really attached to my pets.

Last edited by Blacklight; 10-23-2012 at 01:37 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:32 AM   #20 
ao
TFK Moderator

leave the bouyancy alone... and fast him for a few days. Again a warmer temperature will probably solve your problem... but hey... gotta please the wife :D