Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2012, 09:54 AM   #1 
Delinecion

Black Spots On Pectoral Fins!

Hello guys,

I have been looking around the site for a while now trying to properly diagnose my lil fisheys problem but I can't seem to figure it out.
I am a new owner of a small male blue/red betta fish whom I adopted from my housemate as he was fighting with the other fish in her tank.

Over the past few days I have noticed some small blacks specks/spots on his pectoral fins close to his gills. Ever since I got him I have been in two minds whether he is well or not. He seems happy, he is active and very social [he swims up to me whenever i come over to tank.] I am feeding him about three pelets every day, which may be too little, and every time he chews it up and spits it out and grabs it again! I think this is because they are too big for him so I'm gonna change him to other food.
I now have him in a [roughly] 3 gallon bowl. I clean the tank and do full water change every 3-5 days. I do not have a filter nor heater, but I plan on getting them both. The biggest thing that concerns me is the temperature of the water, its cool to touch, but not cold, as the room is always warm.

Here are some answers to from a betta fish question form, it might help:

The pH is nuetral, i use normal tap water with special liquid called 'stress coat +' to safen the water and to remove any cholorine. There are two fake plants in the tank and some stones. The tank is in indirect sunlight during the day sometimes. There is no artificial light in the tank. One of his gills seems to stick out more than the other, almost as if he uses one more than the other, and also the edges look a bit 'rough'.
Oh! another bit of info is that sometimes when he is up at the surface he blows one decent sized bubble. I have read that this means he is happy but could also mean he is sick. Sometimes when he is at the bottom of the tank he accidentally sees his reflection and 'flares up'. This only happens every now and again though.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm worried that I'm not looking after him properly!
Delinecion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #2 
Pogthefish

pics? I think it may be natural color
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #3 
Delinecion

I'll try take a few pictures now, his pectoral fins are so tiny though it will be a bit tricky to get a clear picture. I remember looking at the fins when i first got him and they seemed fine, but now a can see what looks like spots on them. They have gradually increased in the amount of spots since i first noticed.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:10 AM   #4 
Delinecion

I tried taking pictures but the resolution wasn't good!
Old 10-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #5 
Pogthefish

Well I had a completely purple girl when I got her, and thats why I got her, but as she aged and matured, she developed black spots, or "freckles" on her fins. Pectoral first, then anal and cadual.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #6 
sainthogan

My girl has those too on her dorsal fin right near where her body meets her fin. She's had them since I got her, so I assumed it was part of her natural coloring.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #7 
Delinecion

Hmmm, thats fascintaing. He is very young still, tiny little fella, so maybe I'm just noticing his maturing. I'll keep an eye on him in case there are any strange changes in his mood or body. Do you know the minimum temperature they can handle? I'm just worried that his water isn't warm enough without the heater. Can't afford one at the moment!

*edit* I also noticed two white/transparent spots on his tail when i first got him, but they went away, must have been his tail growing. I guess I was just worried because the pectoral fin spots were black, and on top of it being cool water I thought it may be fungal. Thanks for the replys guys, put me at ease!

Last edited by Delinecion; 10-24-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #8 
sainthogan

74 is the absolute minimum that I heard, they thrive better in upper 70's and low 80's. Anything lower than 74 is going to compromise their health and 74 is probably pushing it. You can get a really good heater on amazon.com for about $10 and I know the petsmart where I got my fish has them cheaper than that.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #9 
Pogthefish

I got a purple girl, pure purple, but as she aged, she developed black spots, first on her dorsal, then anal and cadual.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #10 
Delinecion

Cool, there is not many pet stores here, so the prices are a joke. I'll have a look online now tonight. Thanks for the info!

Also, just getting a close look at his fins again today, and the speckle pattern has changed. Some of them are gone, and some smaller ones are in different places than the other day. The cool thing is that his pectroal fins have actually grown noticeably bigger! It seems these spots are possibly some kind of growth spots!

Tags
blue betta, pectoral fin, sick, spots