Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2012, 03:46 PM   #1 
Xeek

6.6 gallons for 2 Bettas?

I've only briefly talked about this on the tropicalfishkeeping forum and they dont think its a good idea.

I'm interested in the PetCo Bookshelf tank because its perfect for the last available space I have for tanks. It's 24" long and a little short, about 6.6 gallons. I almost considered getting this and dividing it up for 3 bettas, but I've decided that's not enough water for them. Would dividing this for 2 bettas be reasonable or is everyone here also settled that every betta should have 5 gallons minimum?
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #2 
Connierodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeek View Post
I've only briefly talked about this on the tropicalfishkeeping forum and they dont think its a good idea.

I'm interested in the PetCo Bookshelf tank because its perfect for the last available space I have for tanks. It's 24" long and a little short, about 6.6 gallons. I almost considered getting this and dividing it up for 3 bettas, but I've decided that's not enough water for them. Would dividing this for 2 bettas be reasonable or is everyone here also settled that every betta should have 5 gallons minimum?
3 gallons is good IMO..I have a 3g and a 5g..both bettas are equally happy..
Connierodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

A 5 gallon tank is the minimum for dividing for 2 Bettas. A 10 gallon is minimum for 3. It's fine to use that tank, great reviews as well. Most people here prefer 2-2.5 gallons as minimum but in experience, a 1 gallon is minimum. All down to personal preferance.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #4 
Connierodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
A 5 gallon tank is the minimum for dividing for 2 Bettas. A 10 gallon is minimum for 3. It's fine to use that tank, great reviews as well. Most people here prefer 2-2.5 gallons as minimum but in experience, a 1 gallon is minimum. All down to personal preferance.
I agree with you..its about water quality :)
Connierodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

Yep. All about ammonia, nitrite, and all that crap! :p
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #6 
Xeek

Well I think this tank will be even better for them being long, more swim space at least horizontally than they would normally have.

Its acrylic and I really like glass better, but weight is also a problem because I am literally putting this in a bookcase.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #7 
sarahspins

I think it would be just fine - tricky part will be dividing it.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #8 
Xeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
I think it would be just fine - tricky part will be dividing it.
I'm going to do something custom. It had occurred to me to put shock collars on the bettas and when they get outside the yard..... oh no I wouldn't even do that to a dog much less a fish I'm sure with some time I can come up with a worthy divider with some craft supplies. I really want to do something non permanent though thats pretty sturdy. Are there any water proof temporary adhesives or glues? I'm pretty sure hot glue would dissolve any may not even be safe for fish.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Only divide into two and lots of decorations.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:04 PM   #10 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeek View Post
I'm going to do something custom. It had occurred to me to put shock collars on the bettas and when they get outside the yard..... oh no I wouldn't even do that to a dog much less a fish I'm sure with some time I can come up with a worthy divider with some craft supplies. I really want to do something non permanent though thats pretty sturdy. Are there any water proof temporary adhesives or glues? I'm pretty sure hot glue would dissolve any may not even be safe for fish.
i agree with chocalate. It seems a little on the small size, but if you NEED two bettas in that small of a tank, it would only be acceptable to divide into 2 SECTIONS :)
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote