Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #11 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Isn't 3 gallons each good small but still works but agreed 1 bett in a tank that size is more interesting.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #12 
Sivan

The absolute minimum per betta is 1 gallon because of the need to maintain steady tropical water temperature (76 to 86 degrees) without large fluctuations, the need to keep toxins (ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate) down at a reasonable level without spiking, and the need to give the fish room for exercise. The good thing about the bookshelf aquarium you like is that it has more horizontal space than vertical, which is beneficial to this surface-air-breathing species.

As Chocolate and others have said, no more than 2 betta fish for this divided set up. Also make sure to have a quarantine tank in case one gets sick, so they both do not fall ill at the same time.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:02 PM   #13 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I agree.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #14 
Xeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivan View Post
The absolute minimum per betta is 1 gallon because of the need to maintain steady tropical water temperature (76 to 86 degrees) without large fluctuations, the need to keep toxins (ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate) down at a reasonable level without spiking, and the need to give the fish room for exercise. The good thing about the bookshelf aquarium you like is that it has more horizontal space than vertical, which is beneficial to this surface-air-breathing species.

As Chocolate and others have said, no more than 2 betta fish for this divided set up. Also make sure to have a quarantine tank in case one gets sick, so they both do not fall ill at the same time.
I have a quarantine tank right now. Just need to find a permanent home for my crayfish thats in it. He's aggressive, but I think its just in what he established as territory. Not sure what tank I want to put him in yet. I may just bring him and that tank to work for my desk and buy another QT tank.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #15 
pittipuppylove

Hm... My divided tank has your standard craft mesh-and-report cover spines that's in there without adhesives. The divider goes to the bottom of the tank and I have a slightly thicker gravel bed to help keep it up. Initially, I had no problem with this, but one of my two males figured out how to get over (the little bugger!) by pushing the top corner over. For this reason, I'd reccomend keeping the water level atleast an inch lower than the top of the divider and securing the divider at the top as well as the bottom. One of the suggestions I got when asking about the issue of a betta getting over is that you can double divide and therefore have an inch or so between the two divisions. Dunno how the Petco Bookshelf tank is set up, but with this setup you can also hold the heater and filter uptake in this section to help even out filtration and heating in each section.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #16 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

But in all honesty one just seems too small even the admistators care guide says 2.5 but can not wait to see the tank.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #17 
xShainax

I say keep one betta in it. I have a PK in my 6.6 and he loves it.
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #18 
Jupiter

3 gallons is perfectly fine and I'm sure your bettas will love it. :)
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #19 
sareena79

I think thats a perfectly acceptable amount of water for 2 bettas. and the double divider with the heater and filter in the middle is the way to go, in my opinion. cant wait to see pix
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:18 PM   #20 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I am really looking forward to see it.