Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #41 
Wendyjo

Keep in mind when making the dividers that these tanks are bowed so you have to curve the canvas to match the curve in the tank.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:13 PM   #42 
Xeek

It's bowed horizontally not vertically so you don't need to curve the canvas. You just have to make sure to cut the canvas the right size depending on what part of the tank it goes. The ends are shorter than the center.

Tank is still doing awesome. Had a scare for a day where she clammed up and hovered above the heater and didn't want to move. She got pale the next morning and had a stress line. After 2 more days she is much better! All opened up swimming around and very excited for food. She isn't too interested in pellets so I'm starting to feed her frozen food. She seems to enjoy that more, I just can't keep giving bloodworms everyday so I'm going to buy some baby brine shrimp today or tomorrow.

I ordered stuff to make the dividers. I wanted black so I will have to use krylon to paint the canvas (not too easy to find black canvas in time for saturday's activities). I'm going to have to go ahead and make a clear divider (if I end up buying a fish saturday, i'm picky) because if I use kyrlon spray paint it needs to cure if its to remain in water and be nontoxic.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #43 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

So your going to make it where they can see eachother remember to let water flow through.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #44 
Xeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
So your going to make it where they can see eachother remember to let water flow through.
Actually the plastic canvas has holes small enough where I really doubt a fish can tell what the other fish is on the other side. It'l break up the shape on the other side a lot. This is used as dividers all the time for bettas and it works fine.

The water flows through mostly unimpeded. I just need to reduce my filter's current by half with it all the way down with a plant or something. My female betta hangs out on the right side of the tank where the current is least. She's a great swimmer compared to my male betta and doesn't really struggle to swim past the filter, she just must hate it anyway. My male betta enjoys a bit of current if its in an isolated area. He will sneak up on the current until he hits it and does a quick tumble, he keeps doing it when he obviously knows where the current is. He's a strange cookie
Old 11-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #45 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Thanks I did not know about the holes.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #46 
Xeek

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/
Old 11-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #47 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

That is a cool looking and sturdy looking divider.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #48 
Xeek

I also have a hot glue gun, I may not need it but I've done the research and apparently it holds under water and is nontoxic. Also krylon paints are all nontoxic and if you let it cure for several days it should work under water too.

I need to make space to separate 4 or 5 females until I'm ready to put them together for a sorority. I'm waiting mainly for my red one to get bigger and the baby to also get bigger. Not sure if the baby will be big enough in time its only weeks old! Having all the divided space gives me room to house any females that don't get along in a sorority and if I end up with open spaces after I put them in a group then I can get 1 or 2 plakat males
Old 11-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #49 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would say 9ish weeks old.