Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2014, 02:47 AM   #1 
Hannah98

Male or female betta?

Hi, I've asked this question before when I first got her/him about 4 months ago, but I'd gotten a lot of mixed responses. I figured that since s(he)'s older and full grown now, it might be a little easier to tell?

I don't know if this matters or not but I'd also like to mention that this fish is a lot more "aggressive" than my other two, which are defiantly males, although I've never seen it flare. They other two are also are constantly making bubble nests, while I've ever seen this fish make one.

These are photos from when I first bought her/him:
Name:  IMG_1857.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  52.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1867.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  52.5 KB

And here's a current photo (I know it looks like it's nipping :
Name:  image1.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  34.0 KB

On the current picture (and the old ones), you can still see the "egg spot" that made me believe it could possibly be a female, but I honestly don't know. I'm also wondering about the white patches of color on this fish, are they just the coloring or is it possibly sick?

Thanks for any help :)
Hannah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:38 AM   #2 
Charc14

Its not coloring or Ich. I think it is either a tumor, or a old wound.
Actually, I'm seeing a ton of these Gray spots on bettas lately. Like seriously, this is the third time today seeing a picture of it where some on is asking what it is on their fish.

I think that it is a female, but I would wait until she is six months old to definitely know. So don't put her in a sorority or try breeding with a male. But I think it would be safe to call it a female.
Charc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 10:48 AM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It's a female.

The white spots are cysts, more common on Dragonscales like your girl is. She's going blind too unfortunately, poor girl.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:10 PM   #4 
Hannah98

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
It's a female.

The white spots are cysts, more common on Dragonscales like your girl is. She's going blind too unfortunately, poor girl.
Aw, is there a way to help her? And how can u tell she's going blind? (not trying to sound rude or anything but I'm just wondering)
Old 11-27-2014, 01:33 PM   #5 
Aqua Aurora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah98 View Post
Aw, is there a way to help her? And how can u tell she's going blind? (not trying to sound rude or anything but I'm just wondering)
The dragons scales are growing over her eyes, you can see from the earlier and recent photos that its progressing over half her eye, making her partially blind right now. If it continues she'll go completely blind. Start teaching her to come to feed with a non visual que (use sound like a word command, tap on tank or tap at water surface) and feed at a constant place so she'll know where to go for food when she cannot see it.
I have a male who is partially blind, he has scales over both eyes (I think one side is completely blind as he doesn't respond to my finger if I keep it on the side of his 'vision'). I feed him in a constant spot and he hears the lid move and comes over quickly, plus me tap the water with his food so he has a general idea where to lunge to get his meal (can see it from his right eye but depth perception isn't so great).
Aqua Aurora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:36 PM   #6 
Hannah98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Aurora View Post
The dragons scales are growing over her eyes, you can see from the earlier and recent photos that its progressing over half her eye, making her partially blind right now. If it continues she'll go completely blind. Start teaching her to come to feed with a non visual que (use sound like a word command, tap on tank or tap at water surface) and feed at a constant place so she'll know where to go for food when she cannot see it.
I have a male who is partially blind, he has scales over both eyes (I think one side is completely blind as he doesn't respond to my finger if I keep it on the side of his 'vision'). I feed him in a constant spot and he hears the lid move and comes over quickly, plus me tap the water with his food so he has a general idea where to lunge to get his meal (can see it from his right eye but depth perception isn't so great).
Thank you! I feel really bad for her now though😔
Old 11-28-2014, 09:34 AM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, as Aqua said, the scaling over the eyes unfortunately. However, you can train her to come up for food when you tap the tank two or three times and she'll know to come up for food when she does go completely blind. It's nothing you can help unfortunately, it's just genetics.

As for the cysts, those two are genetic and nothing you did to cause them and unfortunately nothing you can do to treat them either. On larger fish it is possible to perform a surgery for a cyst or tumor but our fish are just too small and it causes too much trauma generally. She may die soon because it is on her swim bladder organ, it could compress the organ so much and cause her to have swim bladder issues but again, nothing will help it :-/ But on the flip side, she may live another year for all I know, it's the luck of the draw when it comes down to it.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 03:59 PM   #8 
Hannah98

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Yeah, as Aqua said, the scaling over the eyes unfortunately. However, you can train her to come up for food when you tap the tank two or three times and she'll know to come up for food when she does go completely blind. It's nothing you can help unfortunately, it's just genetics.

As for the cysts, those two are genetic and nothing you did to cause them and unfortunately nothing you can do to treat them either. On larger fish it is possible to perform a surgery for a cyst or tumor but our fish are just too small and it causes too much trauma generally. She may die soon because it is on her swim bladder organ, it could compress the organ so much and cause her to have swim bladder issues but again, nothing will help it :-/ But on the flip side, she may live another year for all I know, it's the luck of the draw when it comes down to it.
Thank you for telling me