Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2012, 11:04 PM   #21 
RedRaz

I love this thread! Wow I love what you all did with your betta tanks and bowls. They look great! I have two 1 gal, a 2.5 gal, 5 gal and a 10 gal. I am so so so nervous about moving my betta to the 10 gal tank because he is doing so well in his 2.5 gal tank. I agree with you that I also hear a lot of people having issues with the cycled tanks. Well if I decide not to move him it will be a pretty planted snail tank, lol! I will try to post my 1 gal tanks soon. I'm too lazy to take a pic right now, lol!
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:05 PM   #22 
Savageajc

nice tanks! What kind of plant did you say the beta was in? pothos?
Savageajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:09 PM   #23 
BettaQi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaz View Post
I love this thread! Wow I love what you all did with your betta tanks and bowls. They look great! I have two 1 gal, a 2.5 gal, 5 gal and a 10 gal. I am so so so nervous about moving my betta to the 10 gal tank because he is doing so well in his 2.5 gal tank. I agree with you that I also hear a lot of people having issues with the cycled tanks. Well if I decide not to move him it will be a pretty planted snail tank, lol! I will try to post my 1 gal tanks soon. I'm too lazy to take a pic right now, lol!
Get shrimpies!
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:16 PM   #24 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaQi View Post
Get shrimpies!
Shrimp would be nice actually! I will have to consider that for sure. Thanks! :)
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:30 PM   #25 
sareena79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageajc View Post
nice tanks! What kind of plant did you say the beta was in? pothos?
yuppers, super easy to grow and trust me I have a brown thumb lol. I have the leaves above water and the roots submerged. I have heard of people submerging the whole plant but u have to watch for rot on the leaves more so I just do the roots

http://www.bhg.com/gardening/plant-d...eplant/pothos/
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:21 AM   #26 
Maddybelle

I have:
1 gal bowl - orange VT rescue w/ swimbladder
1 gal bowl - red copper DeT
1 gal vase - blue grizzle VT rescue
2.5 gal tank - orange OHM
1.75 gal critter keeper - cellophane HM female
All are planted, and I do 50% water changes 2x a week. My room stays at about 76*. I'll post pics when my phone charges. =)
Maddybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:48 AM   #27 
ao
TFK Moderator

Why would it be wrong? there are people who keep fish in 5 gallons of water yet never clean it!

I'm not against tanks of any size. even a .5gallon as long as the owner knows what they are doing.

one little nerve of mine does get plucked whenever some one says "they need ATLEAST 2.5 gallons!"

lol. but really this isn't a bad advice for people who can afford it, so I stay quiet :)

So anyway. here's my 1 gallon
technically, 1.5 but 1 gallon of water

Last edited by ao; 10-24-2012 at 03:52 AM.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:44 AM   #28 
ravenwinds

Since getting bit by the "betta bug hobby" big-time, I have become so overstocked on bettas that I have been running out of room. I have many (like 10) tanks of various sizes...2 of them are 5gallons and 1 is 2.5gallons...the rest are larger. But, since I ran out of tank space, quite a few things have become betta bowls: a gallon canning jar (with glass lid on those metal hinges with a rubber seal) that was used to make "sun tea" became the first male betta jar complete w/silk plants and one of those small pre-calculated heaters. This was followed bya glass gallon pitcher and a bunch of large vases that range from just under 1gallon to almost 2.5gallons (found these 2 HUGE vases that are a traditional pear shape with wide shoulders, followed by a slimmer neck that flares out again on top. These 2 vases are about 2.5gallons but only filled to neck for safety reasons, so they each contain roughly 2 gallons).
I do insist on having a heater for them, though, as I notice a definite sluggishness in my bettas when they are in room temp water.
I also have quite a few 3gallon Kritter keepers.
I am currently attempting to rearrange the 2-3gallon containers so that I can set up a light above them so that they will be able to grow aquatic plants on them...I will also attempt to put in small/tiny sponge filter in each one as well, in an attempt to give them cleaner water in between the water changes I perform every few days.
So, like some of you, experience has taught me that it's quality of water that really counts, not necessarily quantity (until you get down to cup (or cube) size.
Now, I will apologize if I offended anyone, or made them feel ashamed, over their small tank size.
I love what you guys have done with your bowls/vases/smalltanks..they look great!
I will try to post some pics later.
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:21 AM   #29 
Sena Hansler

I will say I try to recommend a 2.5 mainly because you can find a heater for it (and any size bigger) but if the person can't get a bigger tank, then they have to work with what they have!! Like my boyfriends sister. Her fish had a 0.5 and that thing was waaaaay too narrow! A plant barely fits and so did the fish! So we got her a 1.5 and that fish made a huge nest, flared and colored up. ;)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #30 
whiskandbowl

Personally, the smallest I recommend is 2 gallons. You could go smaller but all that maintenence isn't worth it to me. It only takes 2 days for ammonia to get up to 0.25 in my 2 gallons, I'd be changing water all the time!
I'll post a pic of them soon.

I think with the right maintenece and decorations (ie lots of plants!) you can make a 1 gal work.
I really like what you did with that 1.5 gal Aokashi, is that NPT?

Reason #2 I recommend 2 gal...at my work the heater we sell are recommended for 2 or more gallons.
(Stereotype alert!) No one around here seems to know about proper betta care- heaters (seriously, everyone is amazed when I tell them bettas are tropical), water changes, etc, and they don't want to spend $30 on just a tank, so I point them to the 2 gal Kritter Keepers.
whiskandbowl is offline   Reply With Quote