Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #401 
OrangeAugust

Thanks for creating this thread. I'm one of those who believes 1 gal. is minimum rather than 2.5 or 5 gallons. There's someone on Yahoo Answers who is always really rude when people ask questions about their bettas and he/she yells at them to get a tank of at least 5 gallons.
I think it depends on the size of the fish. Some fish can live comfortably in 1 gallon. Fishie was in a 1 gallon tank before I got his 5 gallon ready. He was really active and everything. He never flared, though, until I put him in his 5 gallon. Then I could really see that he was a HM! So I think in his case, he did enjoy having more room. Then when I had to treat him for fin biting, I put him in the 1 gallon, and it was obvious that he'd grown since the last time he'd been in there and he looked huge. He didn't move around a lot, either. It was obvious that it just wasn't enough room for him. He's happily back in his 5 gallon, now.
Shiny is in a 2.5 gallon. I think it's a good size for him.
My female, Jasper, is in the 1 gallon now. I think it's a good size for her because she's small and has a lot of room to move around. I had my first female, Lila, in there when I first got her, but I put her in the 5 gallon when I moved Fishie to the one gallon, and actually, she really liked all the room. She fully colored up, when while she was in the 1 gallon she always had stress stripes, even though she seemed happy in there.
So I think it really depends on the size of the fish. If you keep up with water changes, small fish do fine in one gallon. Of course as you can see in my case, my fish who I upgraded to bigger tanks enjoyed it even more, but you never know until you try it.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #402 
lindseymack12R2

Thank you for posting this! I have a one gallon tank and I have seen some rude comments within the threads directed towards other people with small tanks. I live in a college apartment and just can't find room or afford large tanks! Do you have filters for your small tanks? Mine currently has a filter but I want to take it out to fit a small cave in the tank. Just wondering if my fish will be ok without a filter.
lindseymack12R2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #403 
Polishdiva1

I have a 1.5 gallon without a filter. Does just fine as long as you keep up with weekly water changes.
Polishdiva1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #404 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindseymack12R2 View Post
Do you have filters for your small tanks?
IMO/E-filters are optional for this species-especially with the Long fin males.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #405 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I always reccomend atleast sponge filters.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #406 
megaredize

This is my newest tank! it is the 2.5 gal glass tank. it comes with a glass canopy. i got it at pet smart. These are cheap. around the same price as a kirtter keeper depending on size of the KK.

megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #407 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Love the tank but it looks a little too open.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #408 
bryanacute

Just thinking the same
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #409 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would supplement nutrients too.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #410 
Agility4fun