Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #411 
Sena Hansler

Not enough decorations... I.e hidey spots :)

Java fern is the one plant I can never kill. I let it float until it finds itself a spot to latch to (gravel, fake plant, decoration) and its never done me wrong! Whether in a 1 gallon or a 40 gallon (in both I have java including 10 gallon spawn tanks)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:25 PM   #412 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Not enough hiding spots.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #413 
NVGail228

Sorry...was not online yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Ravenwinds has a very good answer for the two of ya :p

NVgail I know divided tanks can be a hassle lol! Have you tried the double dividing? Have two dividers in the center with room in the middle (usually for filters or heaters) which could avoid jumpers? I remember when my sneaky lady went UNDER the divider where a few larger gravel pieces had propped it up enough for a small betta to slip through. Found her "chatting" with the confused Big Red
Yeah, I know about that method. Gonna try it at some point (still have all the stuff) but haven't needed to do it/gotten around to it. Thanks
NVGail228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #414 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

If I ever divided I would put the gap in the middle for safety.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #415 
NVGail228

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
If I ever divided I would put the gap in the middle for safety.
Good one...that's exactly what you do... and with the right divider you can put heat and filter in the center for equal distribution to both sides. Not my idea...I learned about it on this site
NVGail228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #416 
bryanacute

To much open space
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #417 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

What was that a rely to?
Old 11-17-2012, 12:43 AM   #418 
Agility4fun

Ah, too much open space, that makes sense. Thanks!
Agility4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:30 AM   #419 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Some Bettas do better in open space than other my live plants are still growing to the top.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #420 
ravenwinds

That New (and cheap) 2.5g tank looks like what I need...a couple of those NPT style...dirt, sand and lots of plants ...couple of caves/castles/china tea cups...yep, I could definitely see that. I just got a bag of aquatic plants; I won an assorted package on aquabid and I am very impressed...$14, I believe and it's gallon ziplock full and bulging...nice and clean...12 different plants but multiple cuttings of each!

Sorry...was just delivered while I was typing the beginning of this message...got a bit off track :)

Dividers: if both sides are heaviily planted, even if one jumps to other side, the other betta usually can hide long enough.
In addition, if you make divider into a moss wall or plant a stand of something tall like vallisneria along the divider or maybe something bush such as hornwort or cabomba, the bettas won't get stressed by always seeing each other AND they will be less likely to jump it.

Not enough decorations/hiding places or too much space: your betta will appreciate having more places to hide or get away from perceived constant attention. Bettas like to pay attention to world outside their tank but they also like quiet time where no one can see them. They might be attentive to you and "talk" or "beg" but they probably still want a bidet hole to rest in. Heavily planted areas in your tank will do this. IMHO, live aquatic plants are the best but silk plants and additional houses work too!
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote