Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #421 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I am looking forwared to the plants filling in on the top and I use sand in all my tanks.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:34 PM   #422 
ravenwinds

I like the look of sand; smooth and shaped anyway you (or your lounging betta) wants!
Plus I now officially have tons of corie cats and sand is best substrate for them...my green/bronze cories just spawned 3weeks ago the eggs were on tank walls (and their Mollie tankmates ignored them). Last night was first time I saw the litter...there are at least 8 1/2 appprx little kittens....lol....the green ones are pale pink skin color and they're born with spots...look like peppered cories for 1st couple of months and then they turn green and gold!
I have gone through the plant bag I just got...fabulous, healthy, most are root, even the stem plants....wonderful selection....if you have $, go to "plant assortment" and look for aquaman30 (i believe that's his handle) totally worth more than he's selling them for!!
I could do brand new 10gallon tank with this one bag...maybe adding some moss rocks or moss logs and a bit more sagittaria sublata!

Sorry guys, had to do a plug for him...best plant assortment I bought in a while.
Back to topic....sand is so easy to plant, as well. Don't know how/why some have difficulty with it...but to each their own!
I have to get some of those clip-on lamps for my 1-2 bowls and vases so I can add more live plants...they would look really nice then!
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:47 PM   #423 
Sena Hansler

I found one type of sand (dunno what. It was beige) took so long to settle. But the blue sand settled almost right away :) I agree with hidey spots - especially if dividing a larger tank. My two were doing fine but even under the right conditions Mickey chewed off his tail so he is in a 5 gallon (with 3 gallons of water currently) but I need more decor for the poop.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:13 PM   #424 
ravenwinds

It is so funny watching a male betta see a planted tank for the first time! One copper HM male was so silly...kept looking back at me like "what is this? Will I get lost? Is this all just for me?" And then in he went to investigate every little nook :)
After that he always acted like he was thanking me...flaring a bit, showing his best colors when he saw me, and that first night he made a bubble nest that was 1/2 inch thick and took up about a quarter of the space(top of water)!!
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #425 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I keep bronze cories in my twenty. In my ten I am scared of the hornwort the leaves feel pretty tough.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #426 
bryanacute

I put a cave in 1 of my bettas tanks. It was like what is this? Will it eat me!?
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #427 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Can Hornwort damage fins?
Old 11-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #428 
Sena Hansler

Not sure never owned or have seen hornwort. Test with panty hose - like a fake plant perhaps. I test with my palm because my hands are sensitive to touch (hate cardboard, feel of a brush etc)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #429 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

It feels rough but am sure it will work.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #430 
FishyFishy89

Hornwort is super soft and giving. Unless it is a fake plant that is designed after the real hornwort plant, it will not damage fins. I've yet to see a single live plant damage betta fins.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote