Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2013, 11:04 PM   #521 
cowboy

Don't worry about the 2 gallon critter keeper, my guy loves his 2 gallon spec and the others are quite happy in their 1 gallons. When I put them in it they swam like crazy after being couped up in a cup
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:06 PM   #522 
jesssan2442

I 100% agree that a fish can be kept in a 1-2g tank, I personnally don't have a fish in either size because I would prefer not to do some many water changes! I believe that if you keep your fish in that size tank, that you care for them just as much as anybody else you just either can't afford/don't have space/ want a ton of bettas/ required by where your living/ can't clean bigger tanks/ don't want bigger tanks!! I'm okay with all of that as long as your betta is properly cared for and healthly!
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:14 PM   #523 
Skyewillow

Yup, still love this thread.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:20 PM   #524 
cowboy

You said it, it is alot more work however I gladly do it over and over again.
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #525 
Sena Hansler

Well I started with a 0.5 gallon tank... Then 1 gallon, then it was a 10 gallon lol. Then my tanks ranged from 1 to 20... I remember someone blaming the size of my 3 gallon and my "terrible care" for Maine's death... Which wasn't the case. It was just a chronic, underlying genetic issue. Many people look for a way to bring you down... Try to just take what they say with a grain of salt... Or just don't take what they say

I do agree... If you won't clean a 1 gallon bowl at least every 2-3 days... Get a 10 gallon and cycle it. Then it's once a week after that, easy peasy. But most of us want our fish to stay healthy so they get the best care no matter what ;)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #526 
LittleDeer

Just thought I would share my 2 gallons with you guys. (i'm actually thinking about getting one more because of how perfectly they fit on my shelf and they're so inexpensive.). I apologize for the quality, I only have an ipod for pictures. Posting links to avoid stretching the page.

Alice's tank

Sonata's Tank
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #527 
mybabyjets

cute tanks :)
mybabyjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #528 
Lamb

I haven't received my betta yet, but I have 4 (1.5 gallon) vases I'll be using for my lovelies. I can't wait. I will be planting them, and they all have heaters. I'm very excited, and I have been working with an amazing breeder to get me started. I can't wait to post when I have the set-ups complete!! Love this thread!

I do have a 15 gallon I was thinking of housing a sorority and some guppies (for food), but I'm not sure if a 15g is large enough!
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #529 
Sena Hansler

Well, for guppies go for females only (less color, bettas will be less stressed or aggressive to them). I've mixed 4 females and 10 guppies in a 29 long... And a betta with 6 guppies in a 10...

I'd say 4 females and 4-5 guppies should be fine with hidey holes, plants, coverage... Awesome way to keep babies alive until you want them fed is that fake grass stuff from the dollar store... Floats upside down (cut into pieces so bettas can get to the top) just be warned I have seen a 5 inch guppy :p they can grow bigger if given the chance... Lol!!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #530 
Lamb

Thank you for the tips! I'm super excited. :D

I figure the ladies would eat enough of the guppy fry to keep numbers down, and if I have enough plants, hiding places, etc. then I would have some to feed to me guys. I have a culture of mosquito larvae outside started, and thinking of other live foods for them in addition to tropical flakes, pellets, and bloodworms.

I do appreciate this thread, it makes me feel better about them being housed in vases. I was playing around with the idea of using purified bottled water for the small habitats. I will be doing 50/50 every other day or 2 days, and a full change every week. :)
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote