Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2013, 11:48 PM   #531 
Sena Hansler

I just use tap water. Some use half bottled and half tap due to heavier metals and iron...
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:27 AM   #532 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Well, for guppies go for females only (less color, bettas will be less stressed or aggressive to them).
this depends entirely on your bettas though. I have 3 males, and 6 adult females (guppies) with my sorority in the community tank. My males occasionally try to mate with my bettas, boy are they confused!
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:46 AM   #533 
Bettacrab

Ill post pics of my bowl soon, I have a 10 gallon, 5 gal, 2.5 gallon, and a bowl
Bettacrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #534 
Sena Hansler

Skye I will say my females almost blended in as giant guppies... SO funny! Then the guppies had babies, then the babies had babies who had babies... xD and being a big tank not all were munched on

I am debating what to do with my tanks... My nephew's is the 15 long, but for now just his fish. So I have the 20 long and 30 to play with!! Don't want platys again.. Evil things...
Old 07-14-2013, 05:40 AM   #535 
ravenwinds

Lamb: don't used 100% bottled/purified water....can't even trust the "spring" waters as they come out of a tap, as well! Fish actually need some mineral content in order to be healthy...so, if you plan to use bottled water/purified or RO water, only use 50% out of a bottle, and use the rest from your tap...the easiest (and one of the best for your fish) is to use 100% tap water.
If you have a good well, just use a couple drops Prime or stress coat, and you're set! If you have city/chlorinated water, you can either just use Prime, etc to deactivate the chlorine...or you can age your tap water in a bucket for 24-48hrs which will naturally deactivate chlorine.
Now, I just use our well water, but our well water is pristine so we got lucky.
If you know of any "faults" against your water supply, Prime will actually take care of most issues. For an insanely small amount of Seachem's Prime will even bond with most metals.
And you plan on adding live plants which will soak up A LOT of excess ammonia, nitrate,& nitrite as well as a number of other toxinsx/heavy metals.
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:05 PM   #536 
FishyFishy89

I've been having aquariums for SEVERAL years. Always use tap water 100%. It contains the minerals that your stock needs. Never EVER use bottled water! Only use RO or tap.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #537 
Lamb

Hmm. I read and was told that anything but distilled would work. The specific water I use has minerals added to it. Though it's already getting a little too expensive with multiple water changes daily (it's only day 2!) So I'm just doing conditioned tap.

Here are some pictures of my 1.5 gallon set ups. My plants haven't arrived yet so they're not perfect but the boys seem to like them. And the plants should be here today. :)

Name:  IMG_5241.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  26.4 KB

Name:  IMG_5247.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  32.1 KB

Name:  IMG_5250.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  37.1 KB

Name:  IMG_5251.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  22.6 KB

Name:  IMG_5252.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  33.9 KB
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #538 
sushiisaboss75

I have a 2.5 hopefully I will get a new tank and fish soon. I will get a 1.5 gl tank. For my next fishy.
sushiisaboss75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:15 AM   #539 
Saber

So, while I was at Petsmart today grabbing a Marimo Moss ball, I peeked at the bettas...Long story short, one came home with me. Sadly, a lot of their smaller sized tanks are out of stock now because of the sale (and I'm not spending $70+ on a Fluval), so I bought him a Tetra 1.3 gallon with LED lighting. He seems pretty happy and likes to rest on the leaves of the purple plant.

"Get that camera outta my face!"

Saber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:39 AM   #540 
Sena Hansler

Because small tanks are affordable and space friendly they are actually the best sellers... As long as ONLY bettas are in there due to lower ammonia (VS a goldie), and the fact they don't absolutely need aeration (though bubblers give it a nice look too), heater + thermometer is all you really need