Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2013, 03:16 AM   #621 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Stetson is a beautiful Betta and looks great in his tank! And Gruffalo's ornament is too, too cute. I imagine lots of things have changed in 12 years because of awareness and safety standard.

A 2.5 mini bow holds 1.7 gallons after you add substrate and decor so each Betta only has about .75 gallons of water. I'd get a tank for each fish, instead or, if you have the footprint room, divide a five or 10 gallon. Both are cheaper than mini bows.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:05 AM   #622 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismintis View Post
Which brings me to a question: for the people with the mini-bow divided 2.5 gallon, does the divider work well? And I hear the filter is very strong, would it be wise for me to purchase a 2 gallon with a better filter for each fish instead? Even though that would cost me more than double the amount of money.
I had it divided once upon a time, and I didn't use the filter that came with it. The reason for that was that it took up all of the surface area on that side of the divider. I didn't even like it with only one betta, so I switched out the filter for a whiper 1-3 gal airline filter.

our fish easily got around the divider, one of my males recently jumped the divider and ended up in the filter to get away from the other male.

you can buy a glass 2.5 for $11-14, craft mesh costs like a couple dollars for a pack of 3-4, and you could make your own lid. I also bought a kritter keeper light for mine, which made it pricier, but without that light, I paid $14 total for a neat little setup. And I really prefer that setup to the minibow, to be honest.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #623 
gracefulchaos

This is a very exciting thread to see.
I have recently begun keeping betta fish and am interested in learning as much about them and their habits as possible.
I recently acquired my 3rd betta, a white fish named Gamma.
Alpha and Beta have gone the way of water, Alpha succumbing to what looked like a heart attack and my poor Beta overrun by a horrible fast moving disease.
I'm hoping for better luck for Gamma, third time is the charm, right?
But Gamma seems pretty stressed out in his 4 gallon filter tank. He spends his time, a week now, in the corners, not moving around much and mostly seeming either hyper aggressive or mopey. I am wondering if he is perhaps agoraphobic and would be happier in a smaller still water "vase". Not that my flowers ever got to hang out in 2+ gallon vase, but you know what I mean.
I'm moving him tomorrow hoping he will prefer the smaller home and at the same time offering me a chance to sterilize and cycle my 4 gallon and 5 gallon tanks.
I figure if he loves it, he loves it, and that will be his home. If he hates it we will move him after the cycle.
Beta loved his 5 gallon with a plant and a tower and a bridge, so I think this may just be a personality thing. Gamma managed to get stuck on the leaves of live plants leading me to remove them from his tank for his safety. He is a beautiful but very stupid fish. But I'm going to try silks and see how he handles them, a coffee cup to hide in and a ping pong ball so he can play with the cats (no, not really). A small heater is in place and regular water changes are the plan.
But honestly I was feeling guilty about moving him to smaller digs. Even if I do think he will be happier, I can't see why he can't just be happy in the larger tank. This forum topic has relieved me to see that he just might really be happy in the smaller tank.
Wish him luck! and Thank you!
gracefulchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #624 
Skyewillow

Best of luck to Gamma.

It may depend on how much decor was in his 4 gal. Some bettas do well in sparse decor, others have to have barely any swimming room to be happy. It'd be something to try.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:34 PM   #625 
cowboy

Very cute Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
Gruffalo's 1.5
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:37 PM   #626 
cowboy

Nice of you to say. It's really amazing looking at all the different tanks how each one is special and unique in it's own way and the fish of course just add the final touch! Big tanks are great if you have the room but for us that don't I think everyone is doing a really really good job at fish keeping...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
Stetson is a beautiful Betta and looks great in his tank! And Gruffalo's ornament is too, too cute. I imagine lots of things have changed in 12 years because of awareness and safety standard.

A 2.5 mini bow holds 1.7 gallons after you add substrate and decor so each Betta only has about .75 gallons of water. I'd get a tank for each fish, instead or, if you have the footprint room, divide a five or 10 gallon. Both are cheaper than mini bows.
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:26 AM   #627 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
Very cute Skyewillow
Thank you!
Old 08-10-2013, 02:41 AM   #628 
ismintis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
That's really interesting that after you add everything to the tank the fish only have .75 gallons thanks for informing me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
I had it divided once upon a time, and I didn't use the filter that came with it. The reason for that was that it took up all of the surface area on that side of the divider. I didn't even like it with only one betta, so I switched out the filter for a whiper 1-3 gal airline filter.

our fish easily got around the divider, one of my males recently jumped the divider and ended up in the filter to get away from the other male.

you can buy a glass 2.5 for $11-14, craft mesh costs like a couple dollars for a pack of 3-4, and you could make your own lid. I also bought a kritter keeper light for mine, which made it pricier, but without that light, I paid $14 total for a neat little setup. And I really prefer that setup to the minibow, to be honest.
I was hearing a lot of fish got through the divider, I hope your fish ended up safe Skye!

I'm thinking of only getting one more fish anyway, so I'll just buy a 2 or 2.6 gallon for one betta. Thank you for your replies!!
ismintis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:01 AM   #629 
Skyewillow

He's scuffed and scarred and his ego is a little wounded, but otherwise fine.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:15 AM   #630 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

This is a really good link to bookmark. I have used it quite a bit. It's amazing how much water you lose once substrate and decor are added!

http://www.saltyzoo.com/SaltyCalcs/TankSetupCalc.php
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote