Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2013, 07:44 AM   #631 
gracefulchaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
Best of luck to Gamma.

It may depend on how much decor was in his 4 gal. Some bettas do well in sparse decor, others have to have barely any swimming room to be happy. It'd be something to try.
After removing the live plants there is really nothing in his 4 gallon but substrate and decorative rocks. But as he was getting stuck I had reasonable concern for his safety. Losing fish to illness or disease is one thing, losing them to a java fern is completely different.
I'm hopeful though. The move will take place this afternoon.
I'll keep a close eye on him and see how he handles the new environment over the next few days. I'll remove the silks if the sticking problem persists. Otherwise there isn't really anything in there he can get stuck on.
Aesthetically it is a beautiful new home. But I figure it doesn't matter how much *I* like it, it matters how much he likes it.
And for note, after adding everything, silks, coffee cup, beads for the bottom, tiny heater and tiny betta bed there was plenty of room to add in 2 gallons of water and maybe even a little more so he should have plenty of fresh water to swim in.
I am hopeful. Nervous, but hopeful.
gracefulchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #632 
Sena Hansler

I have had a betta who stopped munching his tail after he was placed in a 1 gallon. :/ But, if it made him better I was willing to do the extra water changes!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #633 
Corrinafishy

I love this thread!!! I have 2 one gallon tanks (only one in use right now) and my fish is as happy as ever! I bought him from a tiny flower shop that had a few bettas in the back. the cups were about 1 quarter of the size of petcos or petsmarts. the fish couldn't even turn around. my fish makes bubble nest all the time and is very active. hes moving into a 2.5 gal in a couple of months also:) ill try and post pictures soon!
Corrinafishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:33 AM   #634 
NikBogdanovich

I actually have a couple 2 gallon tanks, all have heating and aeration, but none currently have a filter. (I will be adding shortly enough, but they do get weekly water cycles.) All three of my bettas love their separate tanks and seem to be thriving just fine. You can tell they get a little antsy when I have to temporarily move them to something smaller for things like tank decor changes, etc.

Flame the Fish on Fire:

Flash the Lightning Fish:

Flash the Lightning fish's tank at night with his blue moon glow on:

I'm thinking about replacing the glo-gravel with a reeflike substrate but I don't know if it would be compatible with a freshwater tank..any thoughts?

Maxwell Von Fishinstein:

And Max's tank at my office. I am definitely replacing the awful gravel at the bottom with some black sand and river rock.

NikBogdanovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #635 
NikBogdanovich

Replaced ugly gravel with natural river rocks....much better..

And finally, this is Sunny, I'm not really sure about his pattern but he's apparently a delta tail. He's currently in a 1.5 Gallon tank with a whisper filter, but I may move him to a similar setup to my other three boys, as I'm afraid the filter may catch his beautiful tail.

NikBogdanovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #636 
Sylerwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sareena79 View Post
HOOO-RAY!!!! someone finally said it :)
my "tank" is one of the dreaded vases (GASP!) but here's the deal...
its a 2gallon vase (I measured!)
he has a heater (under tank, keeps it at a steady 80deg)
he has a thermometer
he has an actively growing pothos plant to filter out toxins
he has oak leaves in his tank to strengthen his fins
he gets weekly 100% water changes
he has a light (daylight and moonlight settings)
he has a fake plant @ the bottom he loves to hide in and explore
he is fed once a day and is about to start on a product called Vita-Chem which is supposed to be GREAT for his scales/fins
HE IS SPOILED ROTTEN!
b/c he has such long heavy fins he spends most of his day chilling out in his pothos leaves so a bigger tank would probably go to waste on him. he jaunts around when hes feeling froggy then its right back into his roots (oh and he has plenty of surface space to get fresh air)
heres a pic or 2 (or 3 lol), sorry its crappy I was trying to get the whole thing in there.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Could I get a link to where you bought your heater and light, please? :)
Sylerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #637 
Sylerwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Beautiful tanks!
I do agree- a big tank doesn't make you a better fish keeper.
There are people who I've heard change their 10 gal tank water 25% once a month! :o LIKE YIKES!! Every tank needs changes at least once a week.

Or take for example, lelei saved some bettas from a YMCA tank, idk the exactly gallonage but I think it was at least 10 gallons, they were living in filthy water with a goldfish and some other random fish, they've healed up nicely with lelei.
Posted via Mobile Device
Perhaps this tank was cycled? I have a cycled 10 gal with lots of plants, I do 25% once or twice a month, regularly check my water parameters, and vacuum the gravel. Maybe that's what they were doing? If it was uncycled I would say yeah, more water changes or take your betta out and cycle it safely.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:49 PM   #638 
Sylerwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty Whiskers View Post
Here are my 1 gallon bowls that I had my 3 Bettas in while I was staying at my moms house years ago while recovering from cancer surgery and a bad divorce...

People told me in nice and not so nice ways that they needed heaters and filters and all that. (I did add plants a little later after this photo was taken) I was so happy just to have them with me and be good for my recovery and something to keep my mind off of my pains. But some ppl made me feel so bad that I was doing it all wrong. But I did change the water every day in all 3 bowls, it was my therapy for after surgery rehab to get my body moving again, doing something.

These 3 Bettas are the only ones that I have ever owned that lived for many years. I've had Bettas in 5 gallon tanks, 10 Gallon tanks, and a 30 gallon tank and so many end up dead at such a young age for unknown reasons. My "Bowl Bettas" were the most healthy and lived the longest. Starange I know, but true for me in my case.

Left side: Gary, Middle: Kitty, Right side: Greg

This is Chester in the next picture in his 1 gallon tank. Soon though he will be in his new LED 5 gallon tank. It is not done with it's cycle yet like I hoped it would be.

the doily's on the bowls are fantastic, I wouldn't have thought of that
Old 08-12-2013, 08:25 PM   #639 
Sena Hansler

My cycled tanks (NOT planted) always get a twice monthly 30-50% clean.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #640 
cowboy

Kitty whiskers: it looks like you like pumpkins etc. petsmart at least in canada has aquarium pumpkins with a big mouth the fish can swim through. They also have witches etc and I CAN'T FIND A COWBOY BOOT lol how disappointing
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote