Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2013, 01:18 PM   #651 
Sylerwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sareena79 View Post
HOOO-RAY!!!! someone finally said it :)
my "tank" is one of the dreaded vases (GASP!) but here's the deal...
its a 2gallon vase (I measured!)
he has a heater (under tank, keeps it at a steady 80deg)
he has a thermometer
he has an actively growing pothos plant to filter out toxins
he has oak leaves in his tank to strengthen his fins
he gets weekly 100% water changes
he has a light (daylight and moonlight settings)
he has a fake plant @ the bottom he loves to hide in and explore
he is fed once a day and is about to start on a product called Vita-Chem which is supposed to be GREAT for his scales/fins
HE IS SPOILED ROTTEN!
b/c he has such long heavy fins he spends most of his day chilling out in his pothos leaves so a bigger tank would probably go to waste on him. he jaunts around when hes feeling froggy then its right back into his roots (oh and he has plenty of surface space to get fresh air)
heres a pic or 2 (or 3 lol), sorry its crappy I was trying to get the whole thing in there.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Serena, I found the light you have on Amazon but I can't tell--is it battery operated or plug in? Thanks :)
Sylerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #652 
Sylerwin

Nevermind, he's not worth the hour drive to pick up so he's going to another home :)
Old 08-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #653 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylerwin View Post
Perhaps this tank was cycled? I have a cycled 10 gal with lots of plants, I do 25% once or twice a month, regularly check my water parameters, and vacuum the gravel. Maybe that's what they were doing? If it was uncycled I would say yeah, more water changes or take your betta out and cycle it safely.
Cycled or not, every tank should get a min 50% water change weekly. Nitrates build up in the water column and the only way to remove it effectively is to do water changes. I, personally, have done both weekly 25% and 50% on my 5.5 gallon. My tank is cycled(AND is planted) the inhabitants definitely stayed healthier and happier with weekly 50%. Same thing in my 75 gallon(which is fully planted and cycled). I did 25% and 50% water changes. Stock was obiviously happier with weekly 50% as opposed to weekly 25%

Note: tanks smaller than 3 gallons should receive bi weekly 50% water changes or a weekly 100%.

Last edited by FishyFishy89; 08-13-2013 at 05:55 PM.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #654 
NikBogdanovich

I give mine weekly 100%
Posted via Mobile Device
NikBogdanovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:39 PM   #655 
Sylerwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
Cycled or not, every tank should get a min 50% water change weekly. Nitrates build up in the water column and the only way to remove it effectively is to do water changes. I, personally, have done both weekly 25% and 50% on my 5.5 gallon. My tank is cycled(AND is planted) the inhabitants definitely stayed healthier and happier with weekly 50%. Same thing in my 75 gallon(which is fully planted and cycled). I did 25% and 50% water changes. Stock was obiviously happier with weekly 50% as opposed to weekly 25%

Note: tanks smaller than 3 gallons should receive bi weekly 50% water changes or a weekly 100%.
...I'll have to buy more buckets.... lol
Old 08-14-2013, 12:06 AM   #656 
Inkwell

This might be a little un related, but I have an empty 2.5 gal tank. I should still cycle it before putting fish in, right?

Last edited by Inkwell; 08-14-2013 at 12:08 AM.
Inkwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:58 AM   #657 
FishyFishy89

Cycling smaller tanks is very difficult. Regardless of cycling, you'd still need to do weekly 100%.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:58 AM   #658 
Sena Hansler

Personally for anything a gallon and under I do water changes every other day (or every day). I have used 0.5 gallons only as quarantines (people give them to me because "they don't use it since their fish died" ) and those I do 100% daily. Mainly because ammonia really gathers up fast in small tanks.

Speaking of water changes my 30 gallon is due ;)

For those who have test kits check something out. Mainly just ammonia testing. Got a couple containers? Fill one to be 0.5, and another 1 gallon. Each day put a very (couple flakes?) small pinch of fish food (or a couple pellets) which won't accurately be like fish poo but will be close enough.

Leave them for two days, test ammonia. Leave it for a week and test ammonia. Would you want to leave it for a month, only adding water to replace what has been evaporated? ;)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #659 
FishyFishy89

That is true Sena. I rarely have anything in a tank less than 5.5 gallons. I did try to put Spike in a 2.5 gallon to move him closer to me when he was looking depressed. But then Kitty saw him -.-
Old 08-14-2013, 10:23 PM   #660 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkwell View Post
This might be a little un related, but I have an empty 2.5 gal tank. I should still cycle it before putting fish in, right?
Or you can try a planted aquarium with fast growing plants!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
ao is offline   Reply With Quote