Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #691 
Trippshep

Hello (:
I really like this thread because I am one who has been yelled at for how I keep my fish.
I have 21 betts fish. 12 males and 9 females. My males are kept in 1.5 gallons (glass containers from Walmart or 1 gallon critter keepers). One of my males is in a 20 gallon, two that have there own 3 gallon tanks and one in a divided ten gallon. I love all my fish a lot and I do water changes every Saturday. Honestly I don't think small tanks are bad, but they need to be cleaned weekly. Most people don't realize that.
Trippshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #692 
Tree

WHOOO go you all! I had a 1 gallon for my past bettas but I did upgrade to a 2.6 and a 3 gallon. not sure if the 2.6 qualifies for this thread hehe. but I got yelled at for having my bettas in the 2.6 and 3 gallons as well. x_x I mean if you take the time to care for them and get the right things, who cares if they are in a small tank? a lot of bettas like the smaller tanks. =) and at least they are not in those cups at the stores. ;)
Tree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:01 PM   #693 
ANHEL123

well i think you need to experienced something to know about it. If i would not experienced and doing what i am doing i might think that it is wrong. I used to say NO NO NO when someone recommended to do full 100% water changes, util i decide to try it and now it is best for my bettas. So everything comes with experience:) I also try to feed them varieties of food and i never miss their water changes.
I also want to say that betta life span also depends on many other factors though including breeding genetics. I have betta that older than 5 years old ,but the one that i bought the same day and fed the same food, did the same water changes died more than 2 years ago.
Oh and Tree i got yelled at for saying about smaller tanks and full water changes on yahooanswers all the time, it so frustrating. And also 2.5 -3 gall tanks are really good size too , so you got it right :)
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:12 PM   #694 
ANHEL123

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn17 View Post
Sorry about your 4 year old
Besides doing full water changes every 6 days, how many 50%s do you do?
finn i don't do 50% water changes. I just do full water changes. Embarrassed to say but i don't even know how to do 50% water change. I am afraid to hurt my bettas if i would pour the water over them.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:14 PM   #695 
Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
well i think you need to experienced something to know about it. If i would not experienced and doing what i am doing i might think that it is wrong. I used to say NO NO NO when someone recommended to do full 100% water changes, util i decide to try it and now it is best for my bettas. So everything comes with experience:) I also try to feed them varieties of food and i never miss their water changes.
I also want to say that betta life span also depends on many other factors though including breeding genetics. I have betta that older than 5 years old ,but the one that i bought the same day and fed the same food, did the same water changes died more than 2 years ago.
Oh and Tree i got yelled at for saying about smaller tanks and full water changes on yahooanswers all the time, it so frustrating. And also 2.5 -3 gall tanks are really good size too , so you got it right :)
Gah, it seems like most of the people that yell at you because of the tank size, does not have any clue on how to take care of a betta in general. like for instance, I see some of the people that rant about tank size and they have unhealthy bettas. Like they have no clue their fish has fin rot and whatnot. as in the owner that is taking very well care of their betta in a 1 gallon has a beautiful looking betta. <3

it's all about the care. <3 <3 <3
Tree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:25 AM   #696 
Aluyasha

I am very excited to see this thread, I usually have larger tanks but currently two of my tanks are under 2 gallons and to be honest I have been apprehensive about posting pictures of them because I do not want to hear all the negative comments about their sizes.
Vitellius in his 1.5 gallon:

Sejanus and his 1 gallon:

Both have live plants. :)
Aluyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:48 AM   #697 
ANHEL123

Love your tanks! lol i am glad, i decided to update the thread .
Old 12-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #698 
Tikibirds

I have one that I havent used in a while. I set it up with lots of plants because Derpy Fins had a damaged swim bladder. If he didnt rest under something, he would float up to the top on his side.

and I think this is a 2 gallon??
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #699 
kman

Hiya! Glad to see this thread, as itís great for setup ideas for my new tank. I hope this is ok for a first / intro post!

I previously had a Betta in a tiny Leeís Betta Keeper (maybe Ĺ gal, at best?). He was marvelous, and lived on my desk at the office for over 7 years before he got sick (swim bladder issue, couldnít swim down anymore) and passed after a couple of weeks, in spite of all kinds of attempted remedies. But prior to that, he was healthy and happy for a nice long time. There was no tank heater, but the office (large corporate skyscraper) is nicely temperature controlled here in SoCal, so temps were nice and stable. No filters or anything, but regular water changes. He had a little ďbetta bulbĒ (unknown plant species) that grew into a plant he loved. (The plant did ok, but never really ďthrivedĒ in that small, unlit bowl.) I sure miss the little fella. He was great entertainment, and the whole office adored him... anyone walking by my desk always got a show! :) The most personality Iíve EVER seen in a fish, by far. He really enjoyed watching me work (which is good, because I work a lot). I think having something interesting to look at (me, mostly) and frequent interaction kept him clearly happy and engaged, even in a small living environment like that. I would bring him home for any absences longer than a three day weekend and for extended holidays, so he didnít have to go too long without feeding. (People at work fought over the right to feed him when I went on vacations!) It was heartbreaking to lose him, but at least he had a nice long life.

(This pic was taken before I switched to the live plant, sadly, I donít think I ever got one when the live plant was in there and doing well.)

But enough reminiscing.

Itís been nearly 6 months since little Bates passed, and Iím finally ready for another betta. This time, Iím going a little bit bigger. I canít have a large setup on my desk, but Iíve ordered the Fluval Spec (2 gals but most reports say itís really 1.5 gals) which should arrive in 2 days, and Iím looking forward to figuring out how best to get it set up. (I also have a Marina C10 10w heater coming, and a thermometer.) I figure Iíll wait until the new year before I purchase the new betta, both to avoid concern about care during an upcoming vacation and holiday office closures, and so I have plenty of time (a month) to get the new tank set up, established and ready for occupancy!

I would love to have some live plants in this tank, although I donít want to overdo it. Any recommendations? Iíd prefer plants that I can find at a local PetCo/PetSmart, since shipping small aquatic plants is absurdly expensive, but Iíll order online if thatís really the only way to get the best results. I need to be able to clean the tank easily, so canít overdo it. I like a clean, uncluttered-looking tank. An NPT (check out my lingo... Iíve been doing some reading here! LOL) seems perfect from a maintenance POV, but frankly I donít think the Specís little built-in light will support a huge amount of plantlife, and I donít think I can add supplemental lighting without it looking hinky and getting annoyed looks from the powers that be.

And finally, as to inhabitants, while before I had only my little betta, this time, based on reading Iíve done, I think Iíd love to have a betta, an African dwarf frog or two, maybe some shrimp, and a mystery snail or two to help with the cleaning. Does that sound like a reasonable setup? Iím not sure about the shrimp but Iíve read a report from a guy who had the betta-frog-snail combo in the same Spec tank with good results, so I think that should be very feasible.

Any tips or recommendations would be gratefully appreciated! Iím REALLY excited to get this cool little tank set up!
kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #700 
Survivor2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
finn i don't do 50% water changes. I just do full water changes. Embarrassed to say but i don't even know how to do 50% water change. I am afraid to hurt my bettas if i would pour the water over them.
How i do 50 is i dump out close to half the water. I use a baby nose bulb to clean out the poo and stuff on the bottom. It suctions like a vacuum and works perfectly in my one gallon. Plus the suction is never strong enough to pull at my betta.
Survivor2013 is offline   Reply With Quote