Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2012, 12:13 AM   #41 
Maddybelle

Does anyone know what would happen if I crossed orange to black?

And are dragons still classified as light bodied bicolor, or has the IBC added a class for them ?

Last edited by Maddybelle; 11-09-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Maddybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #42 
moonsand0wls

Very pretty parents!! Your fry are going to look amazing when they're older :) Congratulations!
moonsand0wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:42 AM   #43 
Maddybelle

Thanks moonsand0wls! I'm hoping to enter the new breeder class in the IBC shows for 2013.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:45 AM   #44 
moonsand0wls

Oh, good luck for you, this one will surely be a pretty strain :)
And then if you're looking to strengthen the strain you can breed a brother and a sister. It will be good.

Good luck :)
moonsand0wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:04 AM   #45 
Maddybelle

Yep, I'm planning to inbreed for 2 generations, then outcross to a yellow or orange HMPK. May outcross sooner, depending on the outcome of this spawn.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:32 AM   #46 
ravenwinds

The first color you'll see on your fry will be iridescence if they have it.On my orange dalmations it was iridescence for fry that had it, then the pale orange body colors, and last to show up was the rusty red-orange on fins, or darker red-orange if they were Cambodian reds. For the few that had some red shading on bodies, that showed about same time as full fin color came in...right around 3mos.

I have a blue dragon w/orange-red fins female HM....gorgeous coloring! Bought her from Taebetta or siruit betta (sp?)...can't remember off top of head....out of Thailand.

You know...your spawn might include some clear yellows...wonder if they would be good match for bicolor yellow/black (mg...inaccurate name for this color since mg have a greenish grey body with mustard yellow fins...the guy who bred and named MG has requested people not use name MG for any bicolor yellow...so out of respect for another breeder, I try not to use that name ...sorry for being long-winded :)...
That being said, I do like the "mg" with orange fins and blackish body.
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:50 AM   #47 
Maddybelle

So, I guess that I won't be seeing much in the way of color for a few weeks at least. Bummer!

Ah, well, there is good news! We officially have dorsal fins! So excited. My babies are growing up!

When should I look for ventrals? I'll be so relieved once they come in: I'm a little worried, since they only had walter worms for the first 2 weeks, and they seem to hang out on the bottom a lot.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #48 
Maddybelle

My stupid walter worm culture crashed! Honestly, I think it was more user error, but the babies seem to prefer the instant BBS anyway. Also, just went to petsmart and got 4 adult glass (grass, ghost, these guys have so many names!) shrimp. So far, so good! I got them as a cleaner cleanup crew. I love my snails, but they poop A LOT!
Old 11-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #49 
Maddybelle

So I haven't found any deformed fry yet, but today I did find a really tiny one. He's the size of a 1 week old, if that. I've named him Tiny, and he's floating in a cup in the spawn tank so I can feed him separately and give him some extra attention. Other than his unusual lack of growth, he seems like a perfectly normal fry. Who knows, maybe he'll make it and grow up to be Best in Show and father (or mother) many fry! He just seems like a male to me, but I'm probably way wrong, LOL. Fingers crossed!
Old 11-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #50 
indjo
TFK Moderator

@Maddybelle: It is said that red, orange, and yellow will eventually fade and thus must be crossed to other colors in order to enhance those colors. This cross is IMO still a trial-error thing because there is no definite cross that will ensure certain results. Many breeders cross them to black. Since black is recessive it should be easier to breed out compared to crossing with anything containing irids. F1 is usually dirty - lots of black and irids showing. But breeding the most orange/yellow should return them to cleaner solids.

IDK IBC's classification on dragons. But I do know that yellow is easier to achieve in dragons. Dragons seem to reflect more yellow than in regular colors. By crossing to red dragons (not the perfectly clean red drg, but the ones that shows white rays), eventually you will have metallic yellow/orange, yellow/orange drg, gold, and other colors.

BTW, congrats and keep up the good work.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perry the platypus, was here