Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #1 
Leopardfire

Best bacteria to add for cycling

I am trying to quickly cycle my 20 gallon so I can move my betta in when he recovers from fin rot. I know how to cycle, but I want to speed up the process with some bottled bacteria. Which kind is the best to get? I've heard that Tetra Safestart and Seachem Stability are both good so I'm trying to decide between them. Have any of you used either one and if you did, how did it work for you?
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

From what I've read they are both hit & miss. I did use Stability in my 46g tank with a fish IN cycle & it still took 5-6 weeks, I used in my 10g with its fish IN & it still took 8 wks to complete. From what I've seen a lot of people like the Tetra & claim it works great. Personally, if your water levels are currently good or you can get them good by doing a water change or two, I would move your Betta in the larger tank, it'll make a difference in his healing.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #3 
DiiQue

I recently used the Tetra product and it worked well for me... just dont expect it to work overnight though... took my 8gallon tank about a week before it cycled.

Do you have live plants in your 20g? If it does, you should be okay with a fish in cycle since you have a bigger tank. Just do the needed water changes (OFL has an excellent sticky on this subject which I highly recommend you read if you haven't already).
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #4 
Chigwell Hammer

Add media to your new tank?
Chigwell Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #5 
Leopardfire

I got some stability today because it had easier dosing instructions and a more clear cycling plan. (1 capful for 20 gallons for 7 days.) About how long do you think it will take to cycle my tank with the extra bacteria? I have live plants in it, but they are dying due to ph problems so I'm not sure if they will help. I was hoping it would be cycled in 2-3 weeks.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:07 AM   #6 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Stability is what Carl Strohmeyer recommends, and he's a professional aquarist with a lot on the line.

From the research I've done lately, it seems Safestart and other live (must refrigerate) products work better for a fishless cycle with it's high ammonia.

For help with a fish-n cycle, Stability, Cycle and others (room temperature) seem to be best.

Two or three weeks is a little optimistic but, if you're cycling fish-in, you'll be doing the required water changes anyway, and eventually your tank will be cycled.

Read this:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...ecific-107771/

and be sure you have a liquid teat kit and know how to use it.

What pH problems are you having?
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:55 AM   #7 
BettaQi

I got the microbe lift products from PetCo during the 50% off sale.

Special Blend
Nite Out
Thera P

And no ammonia issues with fish in cycling. Mind you I have a lot of floating plants and some stems plants.

I add nite out every other day per directions.
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:57 AM   #8 
kfish

The best bacteria to add for cycling is bacteria from an already cycled tank.

If your fish isn't in the tank anyway, I'd recommend just cycling with pure ammonia. I personally wouldn't waste my money on cycle starters.

Last edited by kfish; 10-25-2012 at 08:00 AM.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #9 
Leopardfire

Quote:
From the research I've done lately, it seems Safestart and other live (must refrigerate) products work better for a fishless cycle with it's high ammonia.
For help with a fish-n cycle, Stability, Cycle and others (room temperature) seem to be best.
I got Stability, but since I'm doing a fish less cycle is this not the best choice? I haven't opened it, so I can exchange it for Safe Start if that is better for fish less cycles. (I'm now doing fishless because all my fish died due to ph problems )
Old 10-26-2012, 02:34 AM   #10 
Hallyx
Reference Team

If it were up to me, and being determined to do a fishless cycle, I would go with Safestart. There are several members here who would second that opinion.

Check the "sell-by" date. If it's approaching six-months, try for a fresher batch.

Again, what pH problems are you having? It might effect your cycle.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottled bacteria, cycling, seachem stability, tetra safestart