Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #11 
Leopardfire

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll get some Safe Start instead. Should I add the it only once or several times during the cycling process? Also, my ph problems came from my sand, but I'm getting rid of it, so they should be fixed.
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #12 
DiiQue

I'm not sure how well SafeStart would be when doing a fishless cycle... you would still need a constant source of food/ammonia to feed the bacteria. Anyways, I found this page really helpful with practically all my SafeStart questions:

http://answers.tetra-fish.com/answer.../questions.htm
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #13 
Leopardfire

Quote:
I'm not sure how well SafeStart would be when doing a fishless cycle... you would still need a constant source of food/ammonia to feed the bacteria. Anyways, I found this page really helpful with practically all my SafeStart questions:

http://answers.tetra-fish.com/answer.../questions.htm
Thanks, that website really helped. Now I'm wondering if I should do a fish in or fish less cycle. Fish in cycle sounded easy with the safestart. I used Safe Start before, but I waited 3-4 hours before adding fish so maybe that was why I had ammonia problems.
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:30 AM   #14 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Go to the Tetra site and read up on what Safestart is, what it does and the instructions. Dr Tim Hovanec has good advice on his site. His One-and-Only live bacteria is his version of Safestart. He invented it (actually BioSpira, which was the precursor to both products). They come with their own ammonia; it's one of the ways they keep it alive in the bottle. Cycle and Stability and the Microbe lift products have a different type of bacteria and are more suitable for a fish-in cycle...in my opinion.

There's a lot of info on the web. And the old threads that are listed at the bottom of this page are a treasure trove of information.

@DiiQue
A completed cycle in only a week is incredibly fast---as close to "instant" as a cycle gets.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottled bacteria, cycling, seachem stability, tetra safestart