Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2012, 10:29 PM   #1 
homegrown terror

i think i may have solved a HUGE mystery!

science has never been able to explain why animals and people yawn. there have been hypotheses of a varied sort, everything from increasing oxygen consumption to regulating body temperature, but evidence to support these theories is shaky at best.

i think the answer lies not in physiology but in behavior. when an animal yawns, its jaws are stretched as wide as they possibly can. this is a common action of many animals when they feel threatened or vulnerable, to open its mouth wide, bare teeth (if they're of the toothy variety) and generally try to present an intimidating visage. it would make sense for this behavior to be an instinctive ritual for tired animals about to go to sleep. by instinctively yawning before laying down, the last impression they make upon the world is one that very clearly says "don't you DARE mess with me!"and this could be a healthy deterrent to any would-be predators that could be lurking nearby.

i think this also explains the classic "contagious yawn" phenomenon: social animals, which humans definitely are, take behavioral cues, particularly those which act on a level of involuntary instinct from each other. seeing one person/animal yawn would communicate subconsciously that it's time for the entire group/herd to lay down, and would trigger the same yawn-before-rest reaction in the other members of the group.

anyone with an legitimate background in biology wanna refute my theory, or does it actually have merit and potential?
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:54 PM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I don't know. All I know is that I yawn every 5 minutes in church. Actually I yawn a lot everywhere.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:11 PM   #3 
twolovers101

oohhh I like your idea :D
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #4 
irishcreep

Makes sense to me.
irishcreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:30 PM   #5 
thekinetic

What about yawning when not being intimidating or laying down to rest?

The only explaination I've ever heard was to increase oxygen intake. I mean I've tested this on myself and stopped breathing for about 10 seconds and it does make you want to yawn.

I didn't know there were theories, I just assumed that science had explained it.
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #6 
Kitty Whiskers

All I know is that I yawned the whole time reading this...Not that it is boring, or that I am tired, it is because if I see or read about someone yawning, I can't help but yawn too LOL
Kitty Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #7 
MyRainbowBettaFish

wow. that my friend, was genius. Its these types of little things that one day, you just come to understand :)

well, i learned sometHing new today!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #8 
SnowySurface

I peronally still like the low oxygen levels theory. I know the defense of it is shakey, as well as my reason for liking it, but I do feel like low oxygen levels trigger yawning for me. When I'm about the fall asleep my body slows down everything including breathing. When I don't breath at normal levels or deeply, my asthma can mess up how much oxygen gets to my lungs (I have good Aveoli and constantly inflamed bronchial tubes XD). So, I feel like I yawn more than the average person because I don't get as much oxygen as the normal person.

However, I will admit that explains excessive yawning when I'm tired and my body is slowing down to less frequent breathing rates. Your idea could explain why animals that have no trouble breathing yawn anyway. :)
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote