Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2012, 10:25 AM   #11 
Greylady

I have two in my betta tank but only ever see one at a time. I wasn't sure if I was seeing the same one or different ones. I thought like you that maybe one had died but every once in a while I'll see them both at the same time, so they can hide very well. Sometimes if I really want to see if they are both still there I turn off the light, wait a few minutes then look for them with a flashlight, they are much easier to spot that way.
Greylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #12 
candyman995

Never had that issue with mine. My betta squares up to them but they dart of and he swims away looking smug.

Two is deffinatly better, mine just breed again so now im play hide and seek trying to make sure i dont suck up one of the countless babies that are hiding in my tank.
candyman995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:07 PM   #13 
njnolan1

Haha, nice!

I just don't know where they're hiding if this one is hiding! Of course, I didn't find a dead body either. There's not many hiding places. I was thinking of maybe getting a really big one if they have one at the petstore so I can keep an eye on it. The problem is that the I have a bare bottom and some stones. The frogs try to hide in the same places the shrimp do. In the crevaces etc...
njnolan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #14 
Greylady

I wouldn't worry about getting a big one because if yours is anything like mine it will double in size in a matter of weeks. I purposely bought the smallest one I could find and now it's probably close to an inch long.

I do have an update to my earlier post, today I had to break down my tank and I only found 1 shrimp, so somewhere in the last two weeks I lost one... who knows what happened to him, maybe old age, they say they don't live that long
Greylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #15 
njnolan1

They can be a hassle to find!

Sorry you lost one though...
Old 10-26-2012, 02:00 AM   #16 
ao
TFK Moderator

a failed moult is also a possibility. does happen from time to time...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #17 
njnolan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post
Ghost shrimp are great at hiding. I won't see mine for up to a week at a time and start to wonder if he died and then all of a sudden I'll see him skitter up to the moss ball seemingly out of nowhere.

Yeah, I only see one. I moved some stuff around the tank too. I think the Betta is eating them or ripping them apart and the frogs and betta are eating the pieces. Now that I have the bridge and that supplies a bit more of a hiding spot I may put a couple more in. I really want them so they can eat the junk laying around.

I've actually read that they can go after the betta too! So I'm not sure if I'm going to put more in.