Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2012, 10:15 PM   #1 
Along a

My beta is not eating, need help

Hello everybody, newbie here, have some issues with my betta.
I had a beta for about a year, she stopped eating for about 3 weeks and eventually died. So I got another one, a male.
Everything was good for about a week, then I noticed he had a bump under his head so I didn't feel him for a day, after that, he stopped eating all together.
I see the same symptoms as the previous fish and don't want this one to die.
I don't know what's the problem, I have a small 2 or 3 gallon bowl with all the "furniture" inside, it's in the kitchen so it's not too cold or hot. I give him Aqueon food, change water regularly.
Why wouldn't my fish eat ???

Thanks
Along a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

What is temp? and Betta has 2 Ts because there named after the asian tribe not the greek letter. How much is regular? Is it heated? Is it filtered? What are the decorations?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:55 PM   #3 
Along a

No heat and no filtration, here is a photo if my tank.

Thanks.
Attached Images

Along a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:01 PM   #4 
LizzyP

Chocolate, now is really not the time to scrutinize someone's typo. Also, it doesn't really matter what the decorations are. If you aren't going to help, go to another thread.

For the OP; What I gathered is your fish isn't eating, which is a pretty simple fix. He's probably cold. Betta fish are tropical fish and need temperatures between 76-82 degrees Fahrenheit. You say the tank is i the kitchen, what is in the temperature in there? Chances are the water temp will be a few degrees colder. Also, are you using water conditioner? What I suggest is buying an adjustable heater rated for your tank size and slowly raise the temp. Do it about 1 degree per hour so you don't shock him. Good luck and let us know if you have any more questions :)
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:03 PM   #5 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

The person mispelled it twice and lethargy and ammonia poison are possiblities.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #6 
LizzyP

Either way, they know it is spelled with 2 T's. If you aren't going to be helpful, please go to another thread.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I am being helpful and how do you know they know hpw to spell it I was just pointing out a common misconception. I have also heard of some Bettas being very picky eaters. More water changes and a heater should help.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:11 PM   #8 
LizzyP

Because they spelled it properly in the first sentence. Clearly, if you read....

Either way. A heater and water conditioner if you aren't already using it should help. How often are you changing the water and what percentage do you change?
Old 11-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

And mispelled it twice but I agree with the rest.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #10 
shellieca
Reference Team

As the others have said, your Betta needs a heater, they are not cold water fish. A small volume of water like that with no filter needs frequent water changes with a water conditioner added to the new water. How often are you doing water changes & how big are they? I would fill his container with more water & get a thermometer to check the actual temp.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote