Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2012, 09:12 AM   #11 
JAGalletta

Thanks for the additional info. I started the nitrogen cycle well; achieved 4ppm NH3/NH4+ with three raw shrimp in the tank overnight (using API Master Test Kit). I'll be checking ammonia and nitrites tonight to monitor the process and have been recording my data. pH has swung a bit to the high end from the earlier 6.4 and has been stable at 7.4 for about a day now. Normal for this stage of the cycle? Is there anywhere I can find the typical timeline (in days/weeks) for this process? I'm sure there's a sticky somewhere, no?

Thanks again.
JAGalletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:16 AM   #12 
Hallyx
Reference Team

The timeline varies from less than two weeks (using live nitrifying bacteria to seed the filter) to over two months waiting for the bacteria to fall out of the sky. The ammonia dosage has less to do with the time it takes than these two factors.

Using StressZyne may (or may not) speed this up.

However, there are a few things you can do to save some time once you get bacteria in your tank (in order of importance):

---aerate/oxygenate as much as possible
---run your filter full blast
---keep temperatures >85*
---keep it dark

You should not mess with your pH. But it is good for the cycle that it went up to the mid-7's.

Do not change water or clean your filter or substrate until the cycle is complete, as indicated by the ability of the tank to consume 2.0ppm ammonia within 24 hours for two consecutive days accompanied by a rise in nitrate.

If necessary, change 50% of water IF the nitrite rises >5.0ppm or the nitrate >40ppm.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:01 PM   #13 
JAGalletta

So, let's beat this dead horse once more:

5.5gal tank.
Day 12 of fishless cycle, initial ammonia dose by rotting raw shrimp.
Finally found ACE 10% Janitorial Ammonia

Current Params
Ammonia: 1ppm
Nitrite: 5ish ppm
Nitrate: 40-80ppm range
Going to re-up the ammonia in my cycle.

Correct me if I am wrong, please.

5.5gal tank =~ 20Liters
1ppm = 1mg/L so 20L requires 20mg to raise concentration by 1ppm
10% solution of Ammonia contains 100g/L of Ammonia or 100mg/mL
Approx. 20 drops per mL so 20mg will require .2mL or 4 drops of 10% Ammonia solution to raise concentration by 1ppm in a 5.5gal tank.

To turn this into drops per gallon: 4drops/5.5gal =~ .7 drops/gal per ppm with 10% concentration.

Does all of this sound right?
Old 11-05-2012, 01:53 PM   #14 
JAGalletta

My calcs seem to be correct. I just realized there was a calculator for this in one of the stickies and checked these calcs against that calculator. I knew the horse was already dead!
Old 11-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #15 
Wendyjo

Thank you for doing a fishless cycle! It's the humane way to cycle the tank if you don't have any bacteria to seed with.
Wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #16 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGalletta View Post
Finally found ACE 10% Janitorial Ammonia
Good. Of course, the irony is: once this tank is cycled, you'll never need it again. It's still better than courting saprolegnia mold by using shrimp.

Quote:
Current Params
Ammonia: 1ppm
Nitrite: 5ish ppm
Nitrate: 40-80ppm range
Going to re-up the ammonia in my cycle.
Change >50% of your water to bring the nitrite <0.5ppm and the nitrate <40ppm...Keep it there. Ammonia ~4.0ppm

Quote:
Does all of this sound right?
Your math is right, as far as it goes. But due to variabilities in the product and among brands, and its age, you're better off testing a few drops in a gallon of sourcewater and seeing what you really have.

Good call, Wendyjo.

Last edited by Hallyx; 11-05-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #17 
JAGalletta

Performed approx 50% water change. After change, levels were: Ammonia .25 ppm, Nitrite 2 ppm (I'll keep an eye on this), and Nitrate 10 ppm. Also, calculations were correct. From .25 ppm, 12 drops of Ammonia raised levels to between 2 and 4 ppm.

Hopefully the left over ammonia will help clean up around the house.

And I agree, nothing should have to swim in its own (unprocessed) toxic waste. Plus, it's quite a fun little science project to pass time between my two terms of classes.

I have a ghost shrimp in a bowl (frequent water changes) with a lilly bulb (getting cleaned by him), so he is keeping me company until the tank is ready for my Betta. He's going to be a black orchid crowntail with golden yellow and black tail.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #18 
JAGalletta

Hallyx and/or other(s),

Will high nitrites (2-5+ ppm) stall that part of the cycle? What is the school of thought behind a water change at this point - nitrite, or nitrates being high? I have done a large water change and am just asking with the intention to learn, not trying to be snide if it is coming of that way. - Intonation is very difficult to portray with words. :)
Old 11-09-2012, 10:18 PM   #19 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Hallyx and/or other(s),

Will high nitrites (2-5+ ppm) stall that part of the cycle? What is the school of thought behind a water change at this point - nitrite, or nitrates being high? I have done a large water change and am just asking with the intention to learn, not trying to be snide if it is coming of that way. - Intonation is very difficult to portray with words. :)
High ammonia (>6.0pm), high nitrite (>5.0ppm) or high nitrate (>40ppm) can each stall or stop the nitrogen cycle.

I highly recommend this article by Byron Hosking, one of the most knowledgeable keepers on this forum:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...quarium-74891/

What's nice is I know you'll understand it. ;-}
Old 11-10-2012, 05:41 AM   #20 
JAGalletta

Thanks, that was a great read! Looks like it's time to go do another PWC since the color on my Nitrite liquid test is either 2ppm or screaming at me that it is off the chart, and I'm leaning toward the latter (I always have my girlfriend match the colors, since women tend to have a keener eye in that regard). Does anyone have photos of what the liquid tests look like at certain measurements? I really have trouble matching my Nitrite tests with the swatch.

Tags
ammonia, cycle, start zyme