Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-24-2012, 09:02 AM   #1 
Friendlyfishies

well that didnt work "tetracyline"...now what?

Well I was at a loss as to what to do for my rescue lo ling and his disapearing finage...After 2 AQ salt treatments and daily water changes for 2 months now they just keep getting worse, I decided yesterday id give tetracyline a try. I dosed him a very small amount, removed my carbon and placed in an air stone...5 hours later he couldnt swim down and was frantically swimming around all in a panic. I replaced the water with fresh water and stress coat (no more meds) and removed the air stone...poor guy. Well I caught it in time, this AM he is back to normal 100% but more of the tail is missing!

Its very frustrating. My question now, since I realize he just cant handle meds, do I try another AQ salt treatment in a couple of days or do I just let his fins go and let him live a happy stress free life til he gets so bad he either passes on or needs to be euthanized? Ofcourse hed still get great care, water changes IAL's and heat lol, I dont mean it to sound bad, just trying to think of his happiness. This guys personality is amazing, hes never depressed, always on the go and has a great appetite! I got him 2 months ago from petco, all shriveled looking with plastic like fins and stress strips. His color has improved but his fins havent.

And yes he does have heat and IAL leaves :)

Ive done all the first steps to curing with no relief from the rot and meds arent going to be an option for him. Thoughts?
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #2 
shellieca

Is he fin nipping or is this fin rot? I've not experienced chronic fin rot or self nipping & the little bit of fin damage mine have had was taken care of when I moved them out of the 1g or less containers into larger tanks & kept the water clean so I'm at a loss as to why yours is not responding to the pristine environment you're providing.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:31 AM   #3 
Friendlyfishies

Its deffinitely rot, no doubt :/ ...all I can think is that the bacteria developed a resistance to the AQ salt...but now meds wont help, they make him sick so it really a no win situation.
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote