Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-26-2012, 05:56 AM   #11 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTnBetta View Post
I don't know what type of snails they are, but the shells and coloring are exactly like what we have in our creek behind the house.
Yep those are pond snails. Someone just informed me. So I'm currently trying to control the population. I have about 10 from what I can see. I have named them all, lol!
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #12 
Viva

The same type of snails came in on my online order of plants, I think many of them were small and got washed off the plants before I put them in but I know at least one survived...although I haven't seen it in about a week. I did see my betta peck at it a couple times and it was so light that it floated right to the surface of the water and I had to push him back down!
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #13 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

If you want snails go pick up some nice mystery snails or something like that. I know you want a few snails and you need them for the whole ecosystem thing but pond snail are not the way to go. Pond snails are asexual meaning they lay eggs and hatch by themselves before you know it you will have billions they infest your tanks and more keep coming! Get them out asap! I am not meaning to be rude but I had this happen before.
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #14 
yappa

Nice planted tank, on my wishlist now!
yappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #15 
starrlamia

if you dont overfeed they wont take over your tank, i have pond snails and MTS, the pond snails actually breed a lot less lol
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #16 
RedRaz

Oh Viva YES That is what happened to me as well. I got rid of a lot of snails but a few I guess hid very well. Sneaky buggers! lol!

@BeautifulBetta123 Yeah I have been taking them out as I see them. I did not intend to have pond snails but seems like some plants just are infested with them. I QT my plants close to 2 weeks and still got snails. My 10 gal tank only has plants so I'm working on getting them out ASAP before I add my betta. I'm gonna put some more cucumber tonight to tempt them then out they go. ;) I might try a nerite snail again once I control my pond snails.

@yappa Thank you! :) Oh a planted tank makes all the difference in the world! I love just looking at it. Now I want to plant all my tanks! lol!

@starrlamia you know I have heard that. My tank only has plants no betta so they are not getting really fed. I put cucumber inside the tank to have then climb on there then remove them in the morning. I have them in a tupperware right now with an anacharis plant. What do they eat exactly?
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #17 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Love it I have a ten gallon too.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #18 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

I know the little buggers are hitchikers i pulled 3 out of my new npt this morning they are very difficult to control lol But some people think they are cute and let them hang out for a while then they have tanks infested with them I was just making sure you didn't make that mistake lol
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #19 
ForbiddenSecrets

Very lovely :D I'm sure you'll have one happy fish
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:06 PM   #20 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Glad you like it.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote