Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #1 
KayRene

Fin rot not getting better! Help!

I've had my little betta, Knox, for about nine months now and two months ago I noticed his tail beginning to look tattered and loose colour. I started using Bettafix daily for seven days to try to help along with cleaning his tank more regularly but it didn't work. I moved his tank to my kitchen for easier cleaning access and began a regiment of Maracyn II and for a while he seemed to be doing better... that is until I took a look at him today. His tail is looking shorter and more tattered and I dont know what to do. I'm buying a bigger tank for him this weekend to see if that plus the new, clean, treated water will help. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I'll try to get some pictures up soon!
KayRene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum...

We need more info and a pic...

Complete this sticky and add to your thread...the more detailed info the better...
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #3 
KayRene

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 gallon, but friday he will be moved into a 5.5
What temperature is your tank? 82 degrees f
Does your tank have a filter? yes, ran 1-3 hours daily. current is too strong for him to swim freely.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Food, Top-fin Freeze-dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? three pellet of betta food in the morning and at night. one bloodworm as a treat

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? had been 50%, currently 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top-fin Betta water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? End of tail lost colour, and looked tattered, now it is extremely tattered. I've also notice small white bubble on him... But only notice this when he is in a cup as I clean his water
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? when I first noticed his colour loss he would swim erratically, then as I treated him with Maracyn II his swimming became more normal. Now he is back to swimming erratically.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? first around two months ago. He looked like he was getting better but just today I noticed his tail really tattered.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Originally Bettafix, switched to Maracyn II
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He was a little sickly when I first got him, wouldn't eat anything but bloodworms.
How old is your fish (approximately)?I've had him nine months and got him from petsmart so who knows how old he really is.
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #4 
KayRene

I'll try to get up another picture once I get him back in his tank. I know that one kinda sucks.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:12 PM   #5 
Greylady

Those white dots look like some sort of fungus or possibly Ich. Is that just a fluke of the picture or does he really have those white spots? If so how long has he had them?
Greylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #6 
KayRene

I noticed them last week when I was changing his water. I noticed them again today. You can't see them at all when he is in his tank and they looked like air bubbles to me, but I'm not sure.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #7 
Greylady

To me it looks like fungus or Ich, hopefully someone who knows more about it will help soon. I don't want to point you in the wrong direction but I'd check into some sort of fungus meds, or possibly aquarium salt, although that's a debateable treatment. If you get really worried or he gets worse, I'd pm Old Fish Lady, she helped me a lot when my betta was sick.
Greylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #8 
Silverfang

I think you might have a tail biter. His fins look tattered, like the fin between the veins is gone. Classic biting.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #9 
LeoTheLakerBetta

If you can still see it on him inside his tank it is probably Ich. If it has gotten more distinct and slightly larger or you think its growing, go to Petsmart and pick up a bottle of Kordons Rid Ich Plus. I used it when my betta had Ich and it depleted it no problems. It may take a while depending on severity but it shoudl work even it is not Ich. Kordons Rid Ich Plus also treats most fungi so if it happens to be an external parasite it will probably work. As for the tailbiting/fin rot, I would also pick up some Stress Coat and use that as your conditioner. With water changes, warm water, and the right medicines he should be on the way to healing.

Edit: I forgot, you can try using Aquarium salt which can be found also at Petsmart; this will help in the healing of fins. 1 tsp. per gallon would be an appropriate dosage.
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:15 AM   #10 
KayRene

Thanks guys. I think he may be a tail biter. I left him alone for a few hours after putting him back in his tank and when I went to check on him his tail was ever more tattered and had a few pieces missing from it. I'm gonna buy some Stress Coat and aquarium salts asap.