Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-24-2012, 04:36 PM   #1 
cliffordsmom

Betta looking a little gloomy after time in new tank

I recently moved my betta from 1g bowl into a 2.5g filtered (and heated) tank. He seemed to have adjusted well until yesterday when I made the first water change in his new tank.

Today is the first full day he's been in the tank since I changed the water and he's been sitting at the bottom of the tank, looking a little sad. His fins (particularly his dorsal) also seem to have gotten noticeably raggedy and shorter. I haven't seen him nipping at his fins, so I'm guessing its either fin rot or maybe the motion from the filter is having some sort of effect.

Also, since I've changed his water he's seemed pretty gloomy. What do you think I could have done wrong?
cliffordsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:55 PM   #2 
LeoTheLakerBetta

Hmm this happened to me recently; turned out to be fin rot. I would test the water; if everything is normal I would be another water change sometime soon and add aquarium salt while using Stress Coat for your conditioner.
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #3 
cliffordsmom

Alright, thanks for your help.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #4 
Bettanewbie60

I would also check the filter to make sure the inflow is not catching his fins and the outflow is not too strong for him...they bum out when the current is too strong. Best of luck to both of you!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #5 
sainthogan

Also, do you have any plastic plants or any other type of decoration that can tear his fins in there? Also, did you remember to treat the water with dechlorinator? Sometimes it gets forgotten and it stresses your fish. Water changes alone can be stressful and if the water parameters are different than what they're used to, it can cause even more stress.
And as far as the flow of your filter, it can stress your fish as well. If I fill my tank too high, it causes fast water flow and my girl loses her color on her belly.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #6 
cliffordsmom

Thanks so much for the suggestions, guys.

Inflow is not the problem anymore. His fins were getting stuck, but I covered the part in the tank with pantyhose. Also used remembered conditioning.

He does have a plastic plant, but I didn't think much of it. I bought a silk feather plant to replace it with today, so definitely going to do that. Also got aquarium salt.

Question about the aquarium salt: should I take my fish out before I put the salt in, or is it okay if he's still in there?

I also spoke with the fish guy at PetsMart and he said it would be okay to take the filter out if there are issues. What are your thoughts on that?
Old 10-24-2012, 08:13 PM   #7 
sainthogan

You dissolve the aquarium salt first in a little water, then add it to the tank. He should be ok in there while you do that. You may end up having to do more water changes if you take filter out, but that is a possibility. I have the tetra whisper filter and on the low setting, the intake doesn't bother her at all, so if yours is too strong, you could look at getting a different type of filter.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:14 PM   #8 
LeoTheLakerBetta

If you have the pantyhose in their you should be fine. As for the salt, you can leave your fish in there, but dissolve the salt first in a little cup or something. Then add it to your tank or new water. I like to put salt in a little pyrex glass measuring cup, put water and put it in the microwave for bout 1 and a half minutes. Then I stir it until all the little granules are gone. I add it to the new water in a bucket, which I make sure is a little cooler than 78 maybe 75 and so that the hot salt water won't be scalding. Then I just add in the water to the tank. Sorry for the length of those instructions. You are doing great, he should be feeling better soon.

Edit: Oh yea for the filter output you could try making a baffle depending on what type of filter. I cut plastic bottles and tape it to my filter; there are videos and ehows if you google filter baffle.
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:04 PM   #9 
cliffordsmom

You guys are seriously so helpful, thank you!

I'm waiting on the salt to dissolve right now, and I'll totally look into filter baffles. That's a really good idea. :)