ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:56 PM   #112 
DragonFyre14

Yay! Party for Gus!!
DragonFyre14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:03 AM   #113 
Bluewind

Long story short....

An Aquarium Specilist sold me the largest seashell they carried to put in my 1.8 gallon tank. The enevitiable pH spike forces me to do excessive water changes, pH tests, and killed Toast. It's never a good idea to annoy me. I called corporate and complained. Gave them a proper earfull too. The manager of the store ended up giving me 8 Ghost Shrimp, 1 blue mystory snail, a bottle of Tetra AquaSafe, a bottle of API Stress Coat, an API pH testing kit, and $30 for a new tank for my trouble! Strong with the force, I am. Use it only for good, I must

Edit: I also bought 1 Julii Cory Cat (they only had 2 and the other one was sickly looking). I'm having a friend price them online for me to see if I can get at least 2 more (suggestions? I don't want Todo to be alone for too long). Also looking for midwater fish (can be schooling but need individual personalities not "hive mind" mentality. Are Golden Pencilfish any good?) or maybe 3 Kulli Loaches (shrimp could be moved to old tank).

Last edited by SeaHorse; 11-08-2012 at 03:57 PM. Reason: forget one of the fish
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:38 AM   #114 
Bluewind

Also, I want to add calcium to my water for my Mystory Snail (Cobalt). I have VERY soft water with low alkalinity, so raising them wouldn't hurt as I need to raise it anyway. I've read some people use eggshells, Tums, or calcium vitamin pills. Mind you that I would have to use something like this as the pet store is 45 minutes away. The only other place that carries aquarium supplies locally is Walmart and they are pretty limited (for example, they only have 1 sinking pellet and 1 algea wafer. No other choice). So what would be good to use and how much?

Also, how do I feed this litte guy! Websites say I am supposed to feed him, but what and how!?! I have Wardley Shrimp Pelllets. Will it eat that? Are those even good for my Cory Cat and shrimp? It was all they had that was for bottom feeders. What veggies or fruit can I give any of them?
Old 11-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #115 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Bottom feeder pellets, algae wafers, and regular fish flakes but they might enjoy betta pellets.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #116 
LizzyP

For snails I feed my Mystery Snail algae wafers by Hikari. I don't know if you can get them at Walmart, but you can always order them online. I've also read that you can give them lettuce and cucumber, but mine never really paid attention to either one.

Just keep in mind...You'll want an adjustable heater. Those preset ones aren't really reliable. Yes, it might be working now but when you put it in the bigger tank it might not be as effective. And two, since you've accumulated this 10 gallon, you'll want to cycle the tank. I will let you look up the info on cycling because I can't explain it to save my life.

Overall it sounds like you're giving a great life to your little Gus.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:57 AM   #117 
DragonFyre14

That sounds like a great deal! :) have fun with your new supplies and fish. The Cory cats do need to be in a group. So I would suggest (when you get a chance) purchasing at least 2 more. You could probably get them online but the shipping could make it a bit more expensive. :)
Posted via Mobile Device
DragonFyre14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #118 
Bluewind

Thanks for the info. The heater is ually working quiet well. The tank stays a constant 77 degrees at night. The tank light and natural light raises it to 78-79 during the day, so I think it is going to work well.

Right now, I have several jars in the tank for cover. I'm hoping to find somewhere to buy the 2 Julii Cory Cats, a male mystory snail (I believe mine is a girl), a Water Sprit or Anubis (spelling?), and some other small fish or invert. Suggestions? Are Golden Pencilfish any good?
Old 11-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #119 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

5 is a good idea. http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Golden_Pencilfish
Old 11-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #120 
TheMCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewind View Post
I am still shopping for a heater for it, but having trouble finding one for a tank that small! (would love suggestions for that too if yall don't mind).
This heater:
http://www.amazon.com/Marina-C10-Com.../dp/B003TLWWOO

...is recommended by the manufacturer to work in tanks that are even less than half the size of the one you have. Make sure you have a thermometer and check that it's okay for a while after you get it started (I recommend this with any heater in any tank) but it should be good. Heated water is an important and big step toward keeping your fish happy and healthy.

Make sure to turn the heater off half an hour before you do a water change if you are changing enough water that the heater will be partially or fully exposed.
TheMCP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, betta, newbie, small tank, tankmate