Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-27-2012, 10:31 PM   #21 
DragonFyre14

I think the floating plants could be a problem. Simply because from what I've heard they grow fairly fast and are hard to get rid of once they are introduced.
As far as the plants filling up the tank goes, I don't think it'll be too much of a problem. You'll just need to make sure to trim them down if they get a little too big.

The moss balls, I think would be a great idea. From what I've heard bettas enjoy them and they move somewhat in the tank which makes it seem almost as if they are alive. They grow pretty slow. It would be really happy once you move it over to a bigger tank as well. :)

Last edited by DragonFyre14; 10-27-2012 at 10:35 PM.
DragonFyre14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #22 
tanseattle

That is very nice for what you have done for him. He looks great in new tank. Nice setup.
tanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #23 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
If you get a 10 gallon then I would go with dwarf cory cat fish, they need to be in a group of 4-6 to be happy. Either that or get shrimp and a few mollies. Loche as I recall need at least 20 gallons so they wouldn't do good in only 10.
Just wanted to point out that mollies don't make good tankmates. They grow to around 3", are bullies and need a larger tank than 10 gallons. Mollies also need brackish water (added aquarium salt). Long-term use of aquarium salt is detrimental to bettas health.

Also, (not trying to be a back-seat mod) when a new member is looking for help acting the way some of you have it going to scare them off! How hard is it to be a little nicer to someone? Caps are not needed and angry novels on why they can't do this or that are silly! Just make your point in a friendly way. There is no reason to be rude to people who are good enough to seek out help.

I wish you luck in your escape plan. :)
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:16 AM   #24 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFyre14 View Post
As far as the heater goes, I don't think it is a problem for him to sleep on it... But if you get a chance to go to the store again you can always buy a small 'betta hammock' that they have for sale and it's basically a leave you can suction cup onto the side of the tank. Most bettas seem to like sleeping on it.

There are some fish that are like that. Sounds like he has lots of personality and really loves to play with you. Congrats on getting an awesome betta! :)

For plants, I don't believe fertilizer is necessary. I've heard that nutrients from the food you are feeding and waste expelled by the fish is usually sufficient to support the plant. So you could always get a low light plant (generally really easy to take care of) and not worry about fertilizer unless the plant begins to die. In which case there is a variety of fertilizers that are usually safe for fish.

A couple of low-light plant options would be:
Java fern (a slow growing low-light plant)
Java Moss (low light-medium light plant)
Anubias (very hardy plant, some say nearly impossible to kill)
Hornwort/water sprite (low light floating plant. may be hard to get rid of later on)

Those are some of the more popular low-light plants all of which (I believe) can get big enough to be fine for a bigger tank later on. All of these plants will most likely need to be trimmed every so often so they don't take over your tank but otherwise should be fine.
Not to be rude but Bettas dont poop iron and many other vital nutrients but it depends on the plants in a ten pygmy cories are great in a 5 gallon nerites are great.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:09 PM   #25 
DragonFyre14

Actually... they kind of do. Calcium, phosphorus, iron, copper, manganese and zinc are all excreted in the fish feces. as well as some nutrients are released directly from the fish in the urine or gills to the water, such as boron, potassium, magnesium, molybdenum, sulfur and carbon.

However, I read an article that simply stated, pointed out that the fish food (depending upon the contents of the fish food) and other things in the water (mostly being produced through the fish) can be enough to sustain the plant. I pointed this out simply because the OP was worried about adding fertilizer and seemed to not really want to deal with it.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #26 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

It depends on the plant some aquarium plants have to have ferts some dont anarchis and Marimo you could get away with but swords need ferts some dont some do depends on species in question my Amazon sword was small and unhealthy I added subsrate and liquid ferts it it almost too big.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #27 
DragonFyre14

That is true. Some plants do need fertilization. However those plants aren't usually labelled as beginner plants. Most of the plants I listed (like the Marimo and Java fern/moss) are low light plants and grow slowly. Therefore they don't need as much fertilization. And I believe the larger the plant the more fertilization it'll require.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #28 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Yeah those would be okay but I wonder about CO2 but slow growing plants in my expierence slow growing plants grow faster with ferts and some plants turn red.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #29 
DragonFyre14

CO2 may need to be supplemented, but I think the OP shouldn't really worry about it. just keep an eye on the plants and if they begin to change colors and don't look healthy, then look into using fertilizer. Otherwise they'll be fine.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #30 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Yes the plants you reccomended are great and snacks bettas love to eat love to live in java moss and marimo outcompetes algae.

Tags
advice, betta, newbie, small tank, tankmate