Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #31 
DragonFyre14

I agree. I've actually been considering getting a marimo moss ball for my betta tank now. :)
DragonFyre14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #32 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Mine cost me 10.00$ it is doing well in my planted tank.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #33 
DragonFyre14

Yeah I was at the pet store today to pick up a different type of Betta pellet. (Raphael is being picky. At first he wouldn't eat blood worms cause he didn't really know what they were, and now thats all he'll eat. He refuses to eat the pellets which he had previously loved and looks at me like I'm stupid. ~sigh~ picky fish :P ) And all of their moss balls were kind of brown-ish and didn't look too healthy. So I've decided to do a bit more research so I can find a healthier one for my betta. Only the best for my little Raphael :)
Old 10-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #34 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Carter will eat anything except flakes and Betty refuses pellets so I bought her Betta Flakes I wish she would eat pellets.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #35 
DragonFyre14

He used to eat the flakes (haven't tried recently) I'm hoping he'll eat these new pellets. I'm just going to have to keep trying to feed him one of the 3 pellets I have. Not going to reward this bad behaviour. :P
Old 10-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #36 
kfryman

Okay a couple things, bettas don't need company, they are solitary animals. Adding an animal won't enhance anything but the bioload :) Another thing, a betta is fine in a 1 gallon tank, it is just harder to care for 1 gallon tank because of water changes and trying to heat it, if you can do those a 1 gallon is fine. Also, there is no minimum tank size to house other fish. There are other things that contribute to when you can add more fish. a 6.6 petco bookshelf tank can house a betta and a trio of livebearers just fine, because it is has a big footprint for the betta to have territory. Bettas are hit or miss with other fish as well.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:05 PM   #37 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

There is a miniumum you can not keep a betta in a tank it can not turn around in there are plenty of those. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49160 I have the administator on my side.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #38 
kfryman

I couldn't care less if the administrator said something on guidelines of how to keep fish, he is the administrator of the site, not the guide to fish keeping. It doesn't make him more knowing than other people. Doesn't matter who is "on your side." What matters is evidence, factual evidence. Factual evidence, by many people on here with proven tested results, shows bettas are fine in a 1 gallon bowl.

Lets get on subject now....
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #39 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...25+Betta+bowls http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...owls&FORM=IGRE by your logic these are okay and if you dont care what the administator says wouldnt you break rules?
Old 10-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #40 
DragonFyre14

Hey, They are saying that bettas can be fine in a 1 gallon. Not necessarily .25 gallons. I agree 1 gallons CAN be suitable for bettas as long as the water conditions are kept in pristine conditions and the betta has a comfortable amount of room. The reason most people suggest larger tanks is because the fish are generally happier,you can't really heat a 1 gallon very safely, and you need to really keep on top of water changes.

Also, the Administrator pointed out that (and I quote): "Some fish keepers have success with containers smaller than 2.5 gallons. However, such containers require more maintenance, are difficult to heat properly, and do not allow much room for decorating or enriching the betta fish's environment."

Now that being said, I wouldn't recommend a 1 gallon. 2.5 gallon minimum for me. Bigger (in the case of fish) is almost always better :)

Last edited by DragonFyre14; 10-28-2012 at 06:33 PM.

Tags
advice, betta, newbie, small tank, tankmate