Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-28-2012, 06:35 PM   #41 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I say 5 galon for me but I am a bit crazy it is just me but saying no miniumum sounds like to me .25 is okay sorry as you know fish keeping is an exact science.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #42 
DragonFyre14

5 Gallons would always be nice, but not everyone has the space to keep a bunch of 5 gallons (if they want more than one). I guess, basically the 'minimum' size is up to whoever owns the betta.
Although I would hope that people who get smaller tanks/are considering smaller tanks will make sure they maintain them well enough to keep their betta healthy. It's true fish keeping isn't an exact science.
Anyway we are way off topic and should probably just keep the conversation to questions the OP has.
DragonFyre14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:03 PM   #43 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I know not everyone has room for 5 gallons I just would never put a Betta in anything under 5 gallons just my preference.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #44 
Bluewind

Thank you for the complament!

Light isn't too bad an issue as his tank has a hood light and is near a south-facing window, so pleanty of indirect light. That's why I'm worried about them growing out of comtrol!

And thanks for telling me that 13. I was thinking I was doing a terrible job from what everyone has been saying! O_O

Quick question. I would like to replace one meal a week with something fresh. I know he is a carnivor, but I've heard here and there that a bit of roughage is good for their digestive health. What would be a good vegatable or fruit to give him? Like I said, it would be a once a week thing, NOT a dietary change.
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #45 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would give FFF Bettas are technicaly insectivores from what I read, ounce a week is too often peas should only be fed when costipated.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:07 AM   #46 
DragonFyre14

Hmm... Usually people opt to have one (or two) days a week where they feed their betta live food. I'm not sure he really needs any plant based substances. Although a bit of pea every other week or so (one day) to relieve possible constipation and keep swim bladder disorder at bay.
I don't think once a week is too often (at least not for other fish. Not entirely sure about bettas though...). There are a fair amount of people who feed their fish peas once a week. I personally do it about every other week for my guppies (Or whenever I remember to)

I think you are doing a great job so far. And the fact that you are here asking for help just goes to further prove how much you care about your fishes health and happiness. :)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #47 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I feed FFF to him oune a week I would only give peas to him if costipated a carnivores digestive system is shorter because meat is eaisar to digest herbivores have longer digestive tracks because plant matter it harder to digest.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #48 
LadyVictorian

I would only feed him pea's if he actually has a problem not to prevent it. If feed frequently it will actually do more harm than good to your fish. Feed frozen bloodworms, or blackworms, even brine shrimp instead. He would enjoy it more as well.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #49 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would feed them to it ounce a week.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:54 PM   #50 
DragonFyre14

Yeah, I feed mine bloodworms 1 or (if he behaves :P ) 2 days a week. Brine shrimp (especially live ones) would be great. Betta's love it when they have some live food to chase.

Tags
advice, betta, newbie, small tank, tankmate