Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #71 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I feed Carter 4 differnt types of food and he loves it.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:01 PM   #72 
Bluewind

*awaites massive backlash and negative comments*

Well, after posting that long post yesterday, I got to go to PetSmart. I got my water tested. Turns out my tap water needed some extra help before hitting the tank! Fresh tap was below the minimum mevel on pH (about 6), Hardness, and Alkalinity! The pH levels after sitting 24 hours and in tank were a bit better, but still too low. The woman at the store (15 year aquarium enthusist) told me to dump my tank save for a jar's worth to keep Gus in and do a water change. Then, add a few pieces of aquarium or rock salt and let them disolve to help increase the things that were too low. She also said to add a piece or 2 to my litter bottle when making up fresh water. Got an API pH and Amonia test kits (btw, Amonia was over limit a bit, but not TOO bad). It took 24 hours for the salt to impact the pH, but it worked like a charm raising it slowely to a nice 7.

Now here comes the part yall are gonna be mad about! (next post...)

Last edited by Bluewind; 10-31-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:45 PM   #73 
Bluewind

(...)
I snagged a nice green Marimo Ball and headed over the the fish wall to daydream of the fish I would one day get when I saw a man standing by one of the tanks with his dog. He was looking for Ghost Shrimp (which are very had to see!) to FEED TO HIS FISH! Now I know that like 99% of these little guys are used as live food, but after the guy left and I spotted one... well... I tracked down the worker and bought um! Her last 2 in fact *waits on massive screams of dissaproval* Since I had to put Gus in a jar anyway, I stuck the shrimp and Marimo ball in the tank for a 24 hour quarintene. I placed the quart jar in the tank so that Gus could stay in the right temp and introduced a bit of his new water now and then so he could adjust. After a good feeding (didn't want him to meet them on an empty belly), I let Gus out and darn it if he didn't surprise me! After playing and checking out the new stuff and new locations of old stuff, he spotted a shrimp. (darn text limit! Next post...)
Old 10-31-2012, 01:06 PM   #74 
Bluewind

(...)
Now Gus is quite small, but one of the 2 shrimp is just small enough to fit in his mouth. I almost expected him to try to gulp it down as soon as he saw it! But what does he do? He tries to get it to play with him! He nudged the little guys with his nose. He would chase them a bit and then turn around almost expecting them to chase him! He got so disapointed when they wouldn't swim up and would go back and "bump" them and run off again. When they are eating or sitting still, he leaves them alone. He is such a little mess! That's my boy!
Old 10-31-2012, 06:01 PM   #75 
DragonFyre14

The shrimp should be okay for now... It just means there is less room for Gus to move around, and a fair amount more ammonia is being produced in the tank. So you need to up the water changes until you are able to move them. I would suggest adding at least one more 25% water change.
DragonFyre14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #76 
Bluewind

Thanks Dragon and yes, I upped the water changes a A LOT! Don't want my babies getting sick!

I am trying to ween Gus off flakes and onto pellets as they are far less messy, but he is resistant to it. He likes those messy flakes!

The shrimp are doing well. The larger of the two (3/4 inch) plays tag with Gus! They have a blast and then relax right next to each other. No signs of aggression from either. I named him Toast because he was so bold, I figured Gus was going to eat him!

The smaller one (1/2 inch) hides most of the time and is content hanging out beside the Marimo Ball. Gus and Toast try to get him to play, but so far he is being shy, so they leave him alone. I ended up naming him Boo.

Cho, I know you love your babies but OH MY GOD! $150!!! I am planning on spending half that! Do you live in a big city?

Gus has already caused me to push my plans back a bit (worth it, but still). Spending THAT much would definitely deal me a heavy blow! How much do you spend on all of your fish each year? I want to know what to expect to pay when I get a larger aquarium.

Gus and the Marimo Ball. Can you spot Toast?
Old 11-02-2012, 07:28 AM   #77 
DragonFyre14

I think, as an estimate of how much I've spent on bettas overall (I had two before my Raphael.) I've spent about: $107-112
here is a breakdown of the costs (for me)
Tank, 2.5 gallon(includes hood, food, and water conditioner): $30.00
Fake plants: $5-10
Gravel: $5
API Stress coat: $5
Food: $14
The actual betta (Raphael):$5
Thermometer: $2
Heater: $15
Aquarium salt: $5
Water Conditioner: $5
5-in-1 testing strips: $16
(keep in mind this is over about 2 and a half years.) Also, It didn't all come from my wallet :P a lot of this was a birthday present
DragonFyre14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #78 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I spend most of that on adding more plants the amount in there never satisfies me. I just set it up this summer after I lost my appendix. I bought the tank for 50.00$. I dont have a water testing kit around here I just do a good amount of water changes.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #79 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFyre14 View Post
As far as water changes go, I think you were doing a good job. You can't really do too many water changes.

Pellets are usually best. However, I think it is more important that he is
1. Eating
2. eating something with lots of protein
My betta doesn't really like pellets too much yet... still working on that...

Varying the diet on Sundays is a good idea. They always love blood worms (and blood worms are available pretty much anywhere.) and truthfully, it is my favorite mostly because it is easy to feed and they love them.

As far as companions go, I'd wait until you get a 10 or 15 gallon and go with a school of cory cats.

With your tank, the marimo moss ball may be the best idea if you are worried about the other plants taking over the tank (plus it is very easy to care for) If they are out of those, I would go with Java fern. Its a really pretty plant and doesn't need that much light.
+1 on varying the diet. Mondays are bloodworm day for all the fishies in my house.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #80 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Carter loves Friday thats FFF day he loves it he hates no food sunday.

Tags
advice, betta, newbie, small tank, tankmate