Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #11 
rmarkham

Moist heat at 70-100C

Boiling (100C) for at least 5 minutes (holding time) is a simple and very reliable method for the inactivation of microorganisms including hepatitis B virus, human immunodeficiency virus and mycobacteria. Provided it is carefully carried out, it is a high-level disinfection procedure.

The items should be thoroughly cleaned, placed in a container and covered with water. The water is heated until it reaches boiling point. Disinfection should be timed (at least 5 min) from when boiling commences. Addition of a 2% solution of sodium bicarbonate helps to prevent corrosion of the instruments and utensils. If cheatle forceps are used these should be boiled (or autoclaved) with the holder at least daily and stored dry. The boiler should be emptied and dried daily.

Source: http://www.ific.narod.ru/Manual/Clean.htm

I work in a clinical microbiology lab and we do have a lot of TB and other mycobacteria. The reason they are so hard to de-contaminate is because the bacterium has a think waxy coating.

Bleach won't work because mycobacteria are known to be highly resistant to the effects of chlorine.

http://www.prohealth.com/me-cfs/blog...cfm?id=1408682
rmarkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:08 PM   #12 
rmarkham

BUT thankfully, fish TB is not the same as human TB, it is caused by the same type of bacteria, mycobacteria, but it's a very different species. M. marinum is the causative agent of fish TB, whereas human TB is caused my M. tuberculosis

Fish TB can still cause human disease, but not to the extent of human TB. Always wear gloves when dealing with suspected fish TB to avoid infecting yourself. It is treatable/curable, but isn't pleasant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorWhoLuver View Post
Tuberculosis
Old 10-25-2012, 07:16 PM   #13 
DoctorWhoLuver

Okay thanks!! :) my mom says leaving unused supplies and tank outside would kill Marine bacteria..... Is this true?
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #14 
rmarkham

Quote:
Okay thanks!! :) my mom says leaving unused supplies and tank outside would kill Marine bacteria..... Is this true?

Outside? Probably not.. unless the bacteria in question is an obligate anaerobe and cannot preform it's normal biological functions in open air.. I wouldn't leave something outside and then assume the bacteria are dead.. not to mention you'll run the risk of introducing new bacteria and mold spores to your tank equipment.

I would soak everything in a 10% bleach solution for about an hour and rinse the living crap out of it before placing it back in the tank. Bleach will kill everything except for mycobacterium. You could also boil whatever you have that is boil safe for at least 5 minutes.

Some bacteria can withstand crazy amounts of stuff, and survive in spore form, so that's another reason leaving them outside won't help..

If you don't want to use chemical or heat methods to sterilize, you could try scrubbing all the bacteria off... but even then I'd feel better using a bleach solution or very hot water.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #15 
DoctorWhoLuver

Okay, I'll try that. I really hope my fish don't have TB. I don't think they do, since the only symptoms there are is the one minnow with swimming problems, and a skinny betta with an s-shaped spine that I think may be due to nutrition deficiencies or not enough food or something along the lines of that. Originally, I was really worried when I found out that he was steadily losing scales, but realized that he liked to sleep underneath his shell, and that he was probably scraping the scales off from the shell and the bottom of the tank. (The scales were missing from his top and stomach area).
Thanks for the reply! It was really informative :)
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:01 PM   #16 
rmarkham

Quote:
Okay, I'll try that. I really hope my fish don't have TB. I don't think they do, since the only symptoms there are is the one minnow with swimming problems, and a skinny betta with an s-shaped spine that I think may be due to nutrition deficiencies or not enough food or something along the lines of that. Originally, I was really worried when I found out that he was steadily losing scales, but realized that he liked to sleep underneath his shell, and that he was probably scraping the scales off from the shell and the bottom of the tank. (The scales were missing from his top and stomach area).
Thanks for the reply! It was really informative :)
I hope your fish get better soon!

And, anytime!