Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-24-2012, 11:58 PM   #1 
MundaneBrain

HITH or Sensory Pore?

Hi guys, I'm back again with yet another sick fish mystery. For everybody who helped me out with my last betta, Nikola, thanks again!
This time I have a brand new female betta that I introduced to my community tank. She has what looks like a small hole right in the middle of the top of her head. It looks a little pale around the edge but that might just be her coloration since she is blue/grey-green/light grey. It doesn't look raised or inflamed. It's also perfectly round and symmetrical.
I just got her today, and since I have my fish in a quarantine tank (for ick, they are A-OK now, I am just rearranging things in the main tank before putting them back), I put her in with them since it was already set up and I could be sure she wouldn't carry any Ick in with her! She came in one of those itty-bitty betta cups, and so if it is HITH, and since I know the treatment is generally just a good diet and clean water, will she improve in my clean tank? Is it just a sensory pore? Am I just paranoid?

Housing
What size is your tank? Main tank is 30 gl (cycled and established, btw), quarantine tank is 15
What temperature is your tank? 78.9
Does your tank have a filter? Yes.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 3 brilliant rasboras, 3 red eyed monk tetras, 3 algae eaters, and my last cardinal tetra. That is a lot for the QT tank, I know, but I test the water every morning and evening and change 40% every other day

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? She has eaten Tetra BettaMin flakes tonight. She'll be on the community's schedule though, which is flakes most feedings, supplemented by daphnia/mysis/bloodworms/krill once a week.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Again, I just got her today, but she'll be on the same schedule as the rest of my fish, which is a small portion in the morning and a small portion at night.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? In the QT tank that she's in now: I test the water every morning and evening and change 40% every other day. In the main tank I test the water every week and do a 40% water change every week, although to be honest sometimes it happens every other week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 40%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0-5 ppm
pH: 7.8
Hardness 150
Alkalinity: 130
The water in my area is quite hard but I haven't experienced any problems with these parameters as these numbers stay stable

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? I've had her less than 24 hours, so I can't really say. I didn't notice the hole thing on her when I purchased her, but then again I didn't look super carefully. It isn't raised, it's a little bit pale around the edges but that might be her colors, there's no puss and no other holes. Could is just be a sensory pore? I have never owned a female betta before so I don't know what is normal and what's not.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
I haven't noticed any worrisome behavior. She is swimming well, eating, and doesn't seem stressed

When did you start noticing the symptoms? I noticed the hole/dent when I took a closer look at her.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, but she is in a quarantine tank that has ick medication in it.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Don't know.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure. She seems young. Probably under a year.

Last edited by MundaneBrain; 10-25-2012 at 12:09 AM. Reason: More information
MundaneBrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:08 AM   #2 
moonsand0wls

It sounds to me like she has HITH.

Hole in the Head Disease
•Symptoms: lesions (holes) will appear around the head area, Lethargy, Loss of appetite
•Treatment: HITH can be treated conservatively with Aquarium salt. Add 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration and remember not to continue this for more than 10 days. Keep the temperature between 80-82*F and perform daily 100% water changes. If conservative treatment fails then use API General Cure OR Jungle’s Parasite Clear fizz tablets.
moonsand0wls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hith, hole in the head, new betta, sensory pore