Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #1 
Creat

Please help :(

I checked out my male today after I pulled the female from spawning. And I noticed this on him first I thought it was coloring but it looks wrong. It reminds me of this http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90086 which has only shown up in blue betta so he has been immediately quarantined. I tried to get some good images of it. I am thinking of treating him with maracide but let me know your thoughts, please tell me its just something else.

Edit: I forgot to add that it looks to me like columnaris ...

Name:  IMG_2455.JPG
Views: 125
Size:  85.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2459.JPG
Views: 125
Size:  83.7 KB

Last edited by Creat; 10-17-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

I don't see it!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #3 
Creat

Its better in that fist pic unfortunately he is yellow and it makes it harder. In the light its flashes/ shimmers blueish coloring and I am trying to get a pic of it for you guys. He is a butterfly so he has that white edge, now the edge that has the yellow part is new....

Last edited by Creat; 10-17-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #4 
vilmarisv

You probably know that color fluctuations are normal.
I wouldn't worry just yet. Leave him be and observe him. He's just come out of the spawning tank so his colors will be much brighter now from all that flaring and flirting.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #5 
Creat

I do hope so its that brown purple curcle in the middle of the yellow that is worrying me. I was thinking of doing a bath with kanaplex .... he does have some torn fin edges but thats normal ... would that cause any harm ?
I am freaking out though that last time I saw columnaris in my fish I lost 16 of them... it just took them out so quickly
Old 10-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #6 
Creat

Update: well the dark spot is gone in its place is a nasty looking hole ... could it just be that he was beat up and it bruised (best word i can think of) and fell off...?

Name:  IMG_2461.JPG
Views: 116
Size:  60.3 KB
Old 10-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creat View Post
Update: well the dark spot is gone in its place is a nasty looking hole ... could it just be that he was beat up and it bruised (best word i can think of) and fell off...?

Attachment 66789

this sounds very familiar. some user's betta had some wierd dots on their fins and after it was gone was left a hole. PM sakura8 I think she may rememeber that incident
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:20 PM   #8 
Creat

Sent a pm hope for a response on an identification
Old 10-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #9 
Sakura8

Hi Creat. He's a handsome boy! I love his coloring. Fortunately, I don't see any signs of the mystery disease so we can rule that one out right away. (WHEW!) Also, his fins still appear full and not clamped so he must be feeling more or less okay. Aside from the discoloration and the rip, is he acting all right? Eating and active? No more discolored spots?

It's possible he took a chomp out of his tail himself although usually it doesn't bleed like that. His fins may have been weakened by a mild bacterial infection or possible flukes. Conservatively, you can treat him with AQ salt at 1 tsp per gallon and a product like Stress Coat or Kordon Fish Protector. If he's acting pretty much like himself, this is probably the best route to go so we don't medicate him if it's not necessary. Too much and the fish will eventually develop a resistance to the meds.

If the tear fails to heal, stays bloody or turns black, or if his behavior changes, then I'd suggest the Kanaplex.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:55 PM   #10 
Creat

I have kanaplex (prepared for anything!) and I am glad it dosent look like that evil what ever it is disease. Right now he is being picky about food (probably cause he is used to live food being that he was breeding just before) wont really eat pellets and mostly eats blood worms but he is more lethargic ( laying on his side on the bottom ) which really worries me. He has got the aq salt although his water has prime but i do have stress coat if you think that would be any better.