Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2012, 09:40 AM   #1 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Hard, Akaline, High ph water....Stocking?

Hey everybody!

Might be re-stocking my 10 gallon :)

I already posted a thread on background info on my tank:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=117874

So what type of fish, besides a betta?

Thanks!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #2 
polukoff

It's best to get your water tested at any LFS to know exactly what your dealing with.

Marbled Hatchetfish thrive in hardwater.

Paradise Fish

Gouramis, guppies, and mollies also do very well in hard water.
polukoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:11 AM   #3 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

They prefer soft male guppies are great fo hardwater.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:28 AM   #4 
polukoff

That's true, based off their natural habitat, however they adapt very well to hard water. The Ph would never pose a problem I have Extremely High PH, no problems with any of my fish.
polukoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #5 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

An extremely high PH is 8.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #6 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by polukoff View Post
That's true, based off their natural habitat, however they adapt very well to hard water. The Ph would never pose a problem I have Extremely High PH, no problems with any of my fish.
Unfortunately, the OP has a pH of around 10. Most species that can adapt to hard water (like the gourami and marbled hatchetfish) won't do well in that high of a pH (as it's like crazy high for fish). Fish like that can only tolerate up to about 7.5 or 8. Usually pH isn't a large problem, but because it is so high in this case, it is a problem.

MyRainbowBettaFish, have you considered cutting your high pH, hard water with pure water? Something like rainwater or RO? It will really give you a lot more options.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Most of the farm raised fish will adapt to your source water and you can usually keep them long term without any problems, however, if you get wild caught soft water species or if you want to breed soft water species-Then you would need to change the pH/KH/GH of the source water by using R/O or rainwater.
Generally most fish you see at pet shops have adapted to the high pH and harder water than their native waters from years of being kept in the different chemistry-Most farm bred fish haven't been kept in their native chemistry for a really long time.

Do you know the KH/GH of your source water.
Your pH is 8-8.4 correct and this is after the 24h degassing without any additives-correct. You are using a liquid reagent type testing products and you don't have any type of water softening unit hooked up to the house that uses salt-correct....

With 10gal you are limited-what I would recommend-go where you plan to buy your fish and look at what you like. Find out if they are wild caught or farm raised and location reared/bred-Most of pet shops get farmed raised fish from Florida or the USA and these fish are usually already adapted, however, there are some exceptions.....

Then research-paying more attention to-adult size when fully grown, social needs, territory needs, food/feeding, temp ranges, compatibility and general tank size.
Since you don't want reproduction-I wouldn't worry too much about pH/KH/GH of your source water.

My well water-pH 8.8 with the KH/GH over 300-I call it liquid rock...lol...I keep soft water species without any problems, however, when I want to breed-I do have to soften the water by using rainwater-otherwise the eggs won''t hatch-but once the fry are roughly 4-6 weeks of age-I start using my hard water for water changes to get them adapted back to my well water. I have raised thousands of soft water fish like this over the years without any long term problems and they reach their expected longevity.

Do you plan on adding live plants.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:51 PM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I have heard of a cichlid that lives in a ph of ten.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

10 is way too high even bettas don't like that a guppy would die in that most fish in aquariums of a cut off of 7.5 to 8.0
Old 10-25-2012, 02:18 PM   #10 
LittleBettaFish

Danio erythromicron, like Thekoimaiden suggested in the previous thread would do fine in your water.

Also there are a couple of pseudomugil species that will thrive in hard, alkaline water. Furcartus and connieae come to mind. But I believe gertrudae can also tolerate your water conditions.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote