Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #21 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah I love blue-eyes. I had a whole tank with about 30-40 odd of them (I had several different species) and they make for a nice display.

They look particularly stunning when the males are sparring. They put their fins up and the flashes of colour are awesome.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:33 PM   #22 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Yeah I love blue-eyes. I had a whole tank with about 30-40 odd of them (I had several different species) and they make for a nice display.

They look particularly stunning when the males are sparring. They put their fins up and the flashes of colour are awesome.
WOW! Maybe i can get them special-ordered....

do you know how expensive they are? Are they hardy and easy to care for?

How many could i fit?
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #23 
LittleBettaFish

Furcatus are fairly active so I'd probably only do maybe 4-6 of them. They are very similar to danios in behaviour to give you an idea of aggression and activity.

Gertrudae are slightly more subdued and so you could probably house 6-8 comfortably in a 10 gallon tank. They do like some areas of heavy cover to retreat to, but once they have settled in they are generally fairly bold and mine all used to come up and nibble on my fingers when I stuck my hand in.

This is one of the set-ups I had mine in (tank is a 15 gallon) and they thrived.

Here they are along with my rainbows eating some grindals.

Like most smaller species, they can be a little fragile at first. However, if your tank is mature and cycled they should have no problems adjusting. Mine were hardy as heck and thrived in my large community set-up.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #24 
MyRainbowBettaFish

your tank is gorgeous!

I will have to look into them.

Also, do you know of any other small schooling species i could do besides them? any tetras? I heard tetras wouldnt work.. but i am curious :)
Old 10-25-2012, 06:49 PM   #25 
LittleBettaFish

While your tank size would be plenty for many of the micro species of rasbora and tetras, you are going to run into issues with your pH and alkalinity. Many smaller species that would be suitable for a 10 gallon tank, prefer neutral to soft water.

You may find a few exceptions such as the danio mentioned on the previous page, but you may also have to look at smaller cichlids such as shell-dwellers.

Some fish can tolerate water conditions that are not ideal, but others will not do so well.

A database like SeriouslyFish.com contains information on hundreds of species of fish. So perhaps trawling through there and finding something you like and that fits might be the answer.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #26 
MyRainbowBettaFish

thanks!

Would rasboras work?
Old 10-25-2012, 07:00 PM   #27 
LittleBettaFish

I'm only familiar with a few species of rasbora as my tastes run to different things.

The ones I know of are sensitive and do best in soft/neutral water. However, you could try and see if a more commercially bred strain may do better since as OFL they tend to be a little less fussy than speciality and niche market species.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:12 PM   #29 
LittleBettaFish

Silvertip tetras I am familiar with. I have heard they can be slightly aggressive but I believe they are fairly hardy.

Those red-eye tetras are going to grow too big for a 10 gallon tank

Quote:
It’s a particularly active species and given its adult size deserves a tank of at least 36″ x 15″ x 12″ (90cm x 37.7cm x 30cm) – 106 litres.
The blind cave tetra seems to be the same species as this so it will also grow too big for a ten gallon tank.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:02 AM   #30 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I have moderately hard water with a PH of 6-ish and my espei's or lambchop rasbora are doing really good in there.

What about endler's?
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote