Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #1 
emeraldmaster

Lightbulb bamboo...

Here's the deal, i want bamboo in my 29 gallon tank. What have i got to do to keep it alive? I don't mind blunt advice, do throw it at me...
emeraldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:06 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Lucky bamboo is not a real bamboo it is a dracnae and needs leaves abide water can be grown in soil.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:13 AM   #3 
polukoff

If leaves ever get into the water your fish will die.
polukoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #4 
candyman995

I saw a type of Miniture Bamboo in my local fish shop but didnt know if it was a good choice. Is this the same one or something different entirely.

Always though bamboo was a very fast grower though so wouldn't of thought it'd go well in most tanks
candyman995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #5 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by polukoff View Post
If leaves ever get into the water your fish will die.
That is not even close too true it takes months for the plant to die and the leaves do not kill the fish the ammonia spike does.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman995 View Post
I saw a type of Miniture Bamboo in my local fish shop but didnt know if it was a good choice. Is this the same one or something different entirely.

Always though bamboo was a very fast grower though so wouldn't of thought it'd go well in most tanks
The OP meant lucky bamboo that is what you saw.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #7 
Alcemistnv

I actually have lucky bamboo in two of my tanks right now. The bamboo has actually grown since I put it in there. Compared to the bamboo that is in my vases, they both are of VERY similar quality, no dead leaves or stems.

I've heard that you can kill the bamboo by putting the leaves in water, so I guess if the bamboo dies, it will affect the tank as it decomposes. But as long as the bamboo is alive I don't see the problem :/
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #8 
polukoff

Considering I keep decaying leaves in all of my fish tanks, I would consider this leaf harmful when it decays. It does not release beneficial tannin like other leaves, only toxins, only meant be to grown emerged. Why would you ever buy something that has the potential to kill a living creature that you love. Petsmart might sell it submerged, but they also sell bettas that are on Death row everyday. Petsmart doesn't kill them, it's the ammonia spike that does...

Last edited by polukoff; 10-25-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

It does not release toxins it decomposes and it can take up too a year to die an I keep lucky bamboo in my tanks and petsmart sells thm semi submerged and I keep mine semi submerged.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #10 
polukoff

The people at the ones by my home must be clueless, they sell them 100% underwater in the goldfish tanks. Entire tanks full of it, it's ridiculous the things they consider safe for pets. The ASPCA's Poison Control Center lists lucky bamboo as a toxic substance to dogs and cats. That's enough for me to stay away from it, I have both.

Other people have this to say:

"A couple of years ago, I had some Dracena in my tank. I had it at the top of the tank in one of those, hang on the side, clear plastic containers that I had drilled holes in. After a week or so, my Cichlids became lethargic and just looked sick. Soon afterward, I snapped that it was the Dracena, and after I removed it, they were back to their old selves again, in no time."

"Okay I would like to give a heads up to all on this, so that no one makes the same mistake again.

Topic in a nutshell:
Never put Lucky Bamboo (Dracaena sanderiana) in your shrimp tank. Even the roots will poison and kill your shrimp!!!!!

I thought it'd be cool to keep a bamboo plant partially submerged in my planted tank (thought it would do well to keep the ammonia, nitrate levels low). so i bought one yesterday. had seen it done in other tanks. but guess, what ... it had my shrimp swim in a frenzy in 20 mins. i thought they would settle down, but after 1-2 hours they still went on. finally i removed the plant and did a water change.

later on i came to know that the plant is labeled "Toxic for pets". Though you'll find online instances of many fish-only aquariums having this plant.

in my case, the fish seemed to do fine with it. only the shrimp were hit. anyways the silly bamboo has caused more damage than what it was worth. will take it as a learning experience. reminds me of the time when i lost a red tailed shark in my other tank to a floating water lettuce.

the major casualty has been 3 crystal red shrimp - RIP. my assasin snails had an expensive dinner and breakfast.

the red cherry shrimp, adults and babies, have largely survived - thankfully.

at night i could see about 5 dozen of baby rcs out of their hiding place on the gravel hardly moving. i thought they'd be dead by morning. the cardinal tetras and endler guppies already had started gobbling the babies that swam to the top of the tank. i'm sure i lost between 1-2 dozen there. luckily the rest of them figured that swimming wasn't safe and they stuck to the floor. guess the black substrate and their dark color made them camouflage against the fish. it was interesting to see the color-blind fish not being able to notice the baby shrimp sitting on the floor just 1cm below them. so i still have my red cherry shrimp population relatively fine.
Also to minimize the hunting spree, i fed the fish with frozen tubifex worms to get their tummies full at night. but the fish hardly touched their food in the morning - hinting that they had a buffet.

On the bright side, I hope my ordeal will save some of u unnecessary massacres in your tanks by the alleged "lucky" plant . Therefore this post."

Cheers!

Last edited by polukoff; 10-25-2012 at 12:20 PM.

Tags
bamboo