Betta Fish Forum banner

Breeding Fighters

3K views 49 replies 14 participants last post by  ChoclateBetta 
#1 ·
Hey guys i have one question to ask all of you. Has any of you breed any fighter bettas before? And if you have how was it? Was it hard or the same as breeding anyother bettas and does the female get beaten up alot due to the nature of fighter bloodlines. Mostly every females gets bitten here and there but wat about fighter females is it like worst?

#3 ·
It all depends on the male. Most of them are very aggressive towards the female
You just have to be observant. You'll no doubt be rewarded with some very energetic fish.

#5 ·
BettaHeart from thsi forum just send me to this thread.

I breed fighters you may take my advice if you want.
www.youtube.com/thedarkplakat

I have some fighters for sale check my thread

Anyways.

Fighters are much more difficult because of their teeth and aggresiveness. Aslong as you condition the pair really well you'll be fine. Make sure the female is slightly smaller than the male. There are times when females beat up the male and they don't mate ahaha.

see eachother 2 times a day....feedings 3 times a day. All my fighter spawns were a success in terms of having them breed. I use indian almond leaf in all my spawning tubs with a bit of salt. Female won't be hurt too bad if you put a hiding place but i dont find it necessary aslong as you condition them really well. I've bred successful spawns in a bowl aha ;p

Enjoy

BettaFx,

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
You should sell me a pair but plz dont over price it cause i dont know if its a fighter till i really fight it anybody can claim that their breed is a fighter breed but we (the buyers)dont know that till we really fight them. But yea give me a reasonable price
K, so actually fighting bettas is illegal in the US sooooo a public forum probably isn't the best place to post that you plan on fighting your fish.

#11 ·
@Ilikebutterflies. There's no need to be so aggressive towards other forum members you're being ignorant. There are actually many fighting arenas in the US and I don't recall betta fighting being illegal. Setsuna basically wanted to know if they were true fighters which he is wary about. Please be more sensitive towards other members.

#16 ·
Please read the whole thread next time before posting please. that way we don't get into arguments like this. Fighting betta was never the intention of this thread we was just talking about the difference between breeding the two (fighter/show Bettas)

#17 ·
That is what I said it seems like the second fighter comes up people automatically assume your a fighter of there like your avatar love them.

#22 ·
I didnt say they were fighting them. I clearly stated that I do not believe the intentions of the posters on this thread was to fight.

#28 ·
I appreciate your efforts for standing up for the hobby. It is true we never said anything about fighting them. and it's true that people get all worked up when they hear "fighters" lol when in fact. without these fighters aside from wildtypes, there isn't much clean betta genetics. As a fancy breeder as well, I understand the constant struggle to inbreed to produce nice phenotypes as oppose to the genotypes of a fighter.

I'm not biased here because i have experienced both sides. People who raise fighters actually take far better care than those who raise fancies. the nurturing it takes the fighter to be acquainted with humans. To be able to flare on command...overall the fact that you have to wait 9-10 months before jarring is a lot of work..and have to make sure they are not over fed. the most important part is jarring a fighter or any betta that i find lots of people miss out and that's the mentality. All my hmpk's and fancies flare at my finger and bite the glass. Now aside from genetics I say how you raise them is a factor. I jar them in a small plastic container with IAL and in dark for 5 days at least NO FLARING and this is what most people mess up on...after that i move them to bigger container.

-now im not saying fighting them is a good idea. I breed them for research about betta behaviour compared to those that are inbred. They are beautiful as well like any other living creature.

BettaFx,

#29 ·
Thanks for the info and nicely said. I'm sorry if started this thread got other members mad but as I said before we never talk a about fighting them we only talked about the difference between breeding the two kind(fighters/show Bettas)Let this thread end here to stop the miscommunication Or if anyone has anymore info about breed fighter vs show Bettas can add to this post for more knowledge cause there's more to these fish that I want to learn about

#31 ·
Why have to be sorry??? You only asked question that was all to it. There is not need to say sorry.

I breed fighter, but I do not fight. Now I only focus is fancy: special pattern and color. I love fancy. I have 21 adult bettas, and 19 are fancy + 2 plaket. My fries are over 100+ plaket fighter.

#32 ·
In other countries, especially Australia, short-tailed bettas are commonly referred to as fighters. That doesn't mean they are being fought. It's more a reference to the type. It's like some horses are referred to as trotters but that doesn't mean they are harness racers.

#34 ·
Tanseattle, no, thank goodness! Actually, what's surprising is that is my skinniest cat out of 7. All of the rest are quite fat but that one only looks fat because he's so furry. He wanted to look out the window and another cat had the window perch so he just made himself at home on the tank. :D

#37 ·
Bettas are often referred to as Siamese Fighting Fish. In some areas/countries they are better known as fighters or fighting fish. I differentiate 1. FIGHTER - short finned bettas specifically bred to fight 2. traditional bettas - traditional round finned PK and VT (plus the rare round tail) 3. Modern bettas - DeT, HM, CT, HMPK, etc.

IME Fighters and traditional were once easy to breed (for some reason VT have developed into rather poor parents). And they produced lots of fry. Yes fighters are aggressive - but not all fighters are vicious towards females. I used to breed them in 1-2g containers. Like modern bettas, it really depends on how they were kept and their individual character. Until today fighters are still used as "foster" parents to mass produce modern types. They are also used to improve body and . . . strength/health/immune system (?) in general.

#48 ·
Bettas are often referred to as Siamese Fighting Fish. In some areas/countries they are better known as fighters or fighting fish. I differentiate 1. FIGHTER - short finned bettas specifically bred to fight 2. traditional bettas - traditional round finned PK and VT (plus the rare round tail) 3. Modern bettas - DeT, HM, CT, HMPK, etc.

IME Fighters and traditional were once easy to breed (for some reason VT have developed into rather poor parents). And they produced lots of fry. Yes fighters are aggressive - but not all fighters are vicious towards females. I used to breed them in 1-2g containers. Like modern bettas, it really depends on how they were kept and their individual character. Until today fighters are still used as "foster" parents to mass produce modern types. They are also used to improve body and . . . strength/health/immune system (?) in general.
Oh I see, that's interesting. So...they're basically non-inbreed PKs, with only the strongest surviving from the spawn? Do they pretty much look like a PK?

Also, I'm pretty sure I've seen people talking about sparring their bettas on here in an attempt to get them to breed, and they didn't get near as much greif as these people are getting. Sparring and fighting are different IMO.

#39 ·
I will be the first to apologize if my harshness was unfounded. However, if your intention is NOT fighting why post this?
cause i dont know if its a fighter till i really fight it
and
we (the buyers)dont know that till we really fight them.
I do know the difference between just talking about the differences in the strains. Fighters are neat looking fish but let's not play dumb here. We ALL know there is a big market for actually fighting these fish here in the US. The imported fish are sold as having already won bouts. Betta fighting is a felony here in Florida according to what I was able to find and I'd imagine it is in California (the location listed for the member that I am referring to) as well. Most every state has laws against animal fighting. In the actual statute "animal" is defined as ANY living dumb creature. Fish would fall under that definition. So, those that insist that fish fighting is legal in their state I'd love to know about it. That way I can contact the fish and game department for your state and would happily repost their response whatever it may be.

I mean heck...a person could make a fortune selling highly bred good quality fighters in a state where fighting was legal. Why isn't someone already doing it? Oh wait...I think we all know why...:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.